No announcement yet.

AMD Releases Catalyst 9.6 For Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why do I have the feeling that the trolls are only out in force because almost all of their arguments have no merits anymore?
    I'm not sure why, but this month the trolls are really getting to me. AMD's drivers work fine for me. Ok, compiz may have some trouble (guess what I don't use) but I've not had a single problem with AMD's drivers in a very long time. AMD's drivers also don't completely replace my glx stack (which I personally think is a good thing).
    AMD's drivers are great. They're fantastic. They work. I want completely open source drivers, but in the mean time I can play all games I want, I can watch anything I want, dual monitors work perfect, and it all just works.

Comment

Originally posted by Tares View Post
      Although playing movies with compiz enabled is smooth with no issues, but when I try to rotate the cube its choppy and laggy :/ dunno why, because benchmarks shows 200fps.
      Have you tried the 10 bit enable?

Code:
      aticonfig --set-pcs-val=DDX,OGLFMTA2R10G10B10Enable,1
      From here:

HTH!

Comment

Originally posted by susikala View Post
        There's nothing to defend here or go against. AMD has made the right move to finally support Linux, and some people are just acting like jackasses. This just shows people love complaining, and would do it any way -- they complained before AMD opened up the specs, and they complain now why 3D isn't yet working perfectly in the FOSS drivers, and they complained when AMD deprecated < r500 support, and so on and so forth. The same people who complain are the people who use Linux with a Windows mindset (i.e. "just work", no consideration for other aspects). They should just... hmph, use Windows and be happy with that?

that 'right move' amd made is the single reason, why I have an amd graphic card on an amd board with amd cpu.
        And don't tell me anything about 'windows mindset'. I invite you to look at my postings in the past.

I am also spending a lot of time on gentoo-user to help people. Windows mindset?

Because I am disappointed that AMD blew the chance away to be compatible with the not-even-latest kernel?

Go and kid yourself. You failed to amuse me.

Comment

Originally posted by krazy View Post
          Kubuntu Jaunty (using 2.6.30 now, but it also works on the default 2.6.28 kernel)
          my xorg.conf is empty. The kernel uses radeon by default.
          I switched from radeonhd to radeon driver and now playing videos with Totem loads CPU far not that much (~35% -> ~10% on my "test ones"). Looks like Xv is working fine. Kernel is 2.6.30 too.

Actually, the only thing I really miss in this driver is fan speed control (too noisy by default). I don't even need 3D much.

Comment

Any idea when AMD will update the openSUSE RPMs? I'm still stuck with 9.2 right now as I don't want to install the driver manually because I never got it working that way...

Apart from that, any experiences whether a) alpha-blur works with Compiz or KWin now b) starting a second X server (xinit -- :2) with 3D accel works or if it does start at all?

Comment

Originally posted by NeoBrain View Post
              Any idea when AMD will update the openSUSE RPMs? I'm still stuck with 9.2 right now as I don't want to install the driver manually because I never got it working that way...

Apart from that, any experiences whether a) alpha-blur works with Compiz or KWin now b) starting a second X server (xinit -- :2) with 3D accel works or if it does start at all?
              I think you can create SUSE RPMS from their installer, if they don't work you uninstall them and revert back. You can certainly do that for Ubuntu. Try passing --help to the installer.

Comment

Originally posted by val-gaav View Post
                Do those cards have any stickers besides the ones saying about Windows support ? If no then I fail to see your point. If they were to put a "we do not support Linux sticker" then they should do so for all the rest of OSes like Solaris, Haiku, FreeBSD GNU/Hurd etc. There is so many of those that I think there would simply be no place on the box for them

Well ... get your facts first :

Linus isn't on that list.

Comment

Originally posted by energyman View Post
                  wrong. I defended AMD in the last couple of month. But no 2.6.29 support really pisses me off. Why shouldn't I be allowed to say that? That kernel is out for thre(!) freaking month! 2.6.28 is unsupported, 2.6.27 a pile of crap.

And I have a good reason, why I want the latest kernels - I have problems with mtrr - but before I can even think about reporting on lkml I must be able to reproduce all the problems with the latest stable kernel - oh look, I can't.
                  Don't take it personally, RealNC was the one I had in mind.

For what it's worth, Catalyst can be patched to work with 2.6.29 (using it on Arch amd64 without problems - no idea about 2.6.30).

Edit: the kernel devs generally frown on reports with tainted kernels. Maybe you could move to the OSS drivers, reproduce the bug and report it?

Edit 2: Heiko, thanks for the hint on EXT_geometry_shader. Hope to see that implemented in the not-too-far future.
                  Last edited by BlackStar; 16 June 2009, 10:57 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by he_the_great View Post
                    Linus isn't on that list.
                    Sure he isn't. Linus didn't sign that for whatever the reason he had for not doing so. Maybe he was pragmatic or wanted to remain neutral in a way.

though see this earlier post for Linus opinion about blobs:

Comment

• Stop complaining and go contribute to open source ATI drivers. You have all required information to write good drivers.

Comment

Working...
                      X