AMD Releases Catalyst 9.6 For Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Okay, let's try this one more time.

nvidia (the blob from nVidia) is superior in terms of features and stability. It still crashes all the time, is buggy, doesn't support esoteric X features correctly, etc.

XvBA is dead in the water, as far as desktop support is concerned. AMD crafted it for enterprise clients, not desktop clients. You all will have to wait until somebody introduces VDPAU for Radeons in the open-source driver, which brings me to...

...Contribution. The open-source driver is completely fueled by contributions. We have the documentation, we have the expertise. We only lack manpower. If you want drivers so damn bad, why not contribute? I learned how to write graphics drivers out of pure hatred for fglrx; if I can do it, surely you all can too.

Finally, fglrx is for FireGLs first, Radeons second. It's an enterprise driver, for enterprise Linux. The big targets here are SUSE, RHEL, and Ubuntu LTS; not Gentoo, Arch, or name-your-distro-here.

tl;dr: Read the post and stop relying on tl;dr.

~ C.

Comment

• Originally posted by val-gaav View Post
      Sure he isn't. Linus didn't sign that for whatever the reason he had for not doing so. Maybe he was pragmatic or wanted to remain neutral in a way.

though see this earlier post for Linus opinion about blobs:
      http://www.phoronix.com/forums/showp...8&postcount=78
      And the source before anyone gets paranoid:

Comment

• Originally posted by MostAwesomeDude View Post
        Okay, let's try this one more time.

nvidia (the blob from nVidia) is superior in terms of features and stability. It still crashes all the time, is buggy, doesn't support esoteric X features correctly, etc.

XvBA is dead in the water, as far as desktop support is concerned. AMD crafted it for enterprise clients, not desktop clients. You all will have to wait until somebody introduces VDPAU for Radeons in the open-source driver, which brings me to...

...Contribution. The open-source driver is completely fueled by contributions. We have the documentation, we have the expertise. We only lack manpower. If you want drivers so damn bad, why not contribute? I learned how to write graphics drivers out of pure hatred for fglrx; if I can do it, surely you all can too.

Finally, fglrx is for FireGLs first, Radeons second. It's an enterprise driver, for enterprise Linux. The big targets here are SUSE, RHEL, and Ubuntu LTS; not Gentoo, Arch, or name-your-distro-here.

tl;dr: Read the post and stop relying on tl;dr.

~ C.
        I have a feeling that I will not play HL2 any time soon on F11 with my new HD4850 *time to re-install winXP :-(*

Comment

• Originally posted by MaestroMaus View Post
          I second that. My laptop keeps making the screen a mess when it is on battery...
          Yep wishing that I went for the 9800M GS right now instead of the 4850 mobility.

Video playback via mplayer froze the machine again requiring alt+prtscr boot. (RSEINUB)

Seems to happen most often after awaking from sleep, Ubuntu 9.04 64b, compiz/beryl disabled(always freezes from sleep if it's on, and Im not even going to bother testing it w/9.6... oh for at least lush green quality drivers instead of the bloody mess that we have...)

wine is still hosed by the wonderful drivers as well... I really wish that AMD would get their ---- together instead of moaning about opensource as I'd MUCH rather just have decent quality drivers and don't give a rats --- about their being open or not. Its much more like AMD is hoping/expecting OSS to save their bacon rather than actually doing the heavy lifting themselves.

Comment

• Originally posted by MostAwesomeDude View Post
            Some people have a life. Also, not everyone works as a developer. Some people work at the bank, others at the postal office. Some are teachers... You can hardly ask the dude who works at Pizza Hut to go learn Unix systems programming in C if he can't even understand a Hello World program in Visual Basic.

Comment

• Originally posted by E.Dulen View Post
              I have a feeling that I will not play HL2 any time soon on F11 with my new HD4850 *time to re-install winXP :-(*
              Downgrade to Fedora 10, compile wine-git and HL2 with catalyst 9.6 works great with radeon 4850 here all the DX9 effects on!

Comment

• Originally posted by blindfrog View Post
                Downgrade to Fedora 10, compile wine-git and HL2 with catalyst 9.6 works great with radeon 4850 here all the DX9 effects on!
                I've got better solution. Throw out Radeon and buy Geforce. You'll save your time downgrading to Fedora 10

Comment

• Originally posted by RealNC View Post
                  Some people have a life. Also, not everyone works as a developer. Some people work at the bank, others at the postal office. Some are teachers... You can hardly ask the dude who works at Pizza Hut to go learn Unix systems programming in C if he can't even understand a Hello World program in Visual Basic.
                  Still, they complain, which is understandable, but some even say that they'd pay AMD from their wallets for better drivers. Why don't they pay the developers that work on the FOSS drivers?

It's true that not everyone can contribute to the driver (hell, I'm an experienced programmer and still can't say I could help with the FOSS drivers), but it's also true that AMD never said their cards would work wonders on linux.

Remember, people; AMD never made you buy their product.
                  Not happy? Help with FOSS.
                  Can't? Pay someone who can.
                  Can't pay? Wait.
                  Can't wait? Your bad, you should've bought a well supported card on linux.

Comment

• Originally posted by mdias View Post
                    Can't wait? Your bad, you should've bought a well supported card on linux.
                    The first sane thing you've written here.

Comment

• Originally posted by NSLW View Post
                      I've got better solution. Throw out Radeon and buy Geforce. You'll save your time downgrading to Fedora 10
                      But I bought my card just 4 days ago and now I must spend more cash on nVidia card , the cheapest solution for me would be to install winXP
                      Last edited by E.Dulen; 16 June 2009, 01:28 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X