No announcement yet.

AMD Releases Catalyst 9.6 For Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This is sad, have Fedora 11 installed and was waiting for 9.6 to bring support to 2.6.29 kernel.

Well i think waiting game is still on....

Comment

• Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
      Stop complaining and go contribute to open source ATI drivers. You have all required information to write good drivers.
      Makes me wonder, if that is the case, then why is that driver still so incomplete on features, and doesn't work right most of the times with r6xx and up. Why are the developers of such drivers still saying they can't implement x and y feature because there is no documentation for that. Yeah, is good AMD has released some documentation, but there are hordes of docs left to be released for the oss driver to be any good, for todays standards.

Comment

• ... because good nvidia blobs for years stopped the development of X. Not just, because there is no specs for nvidia cards, not just because they are not using much of X framework, but because other companies were like "Hmm nvidia does blobs and they work fine, let's go this path too"

However so far nvidia is the only company that produces good closed source graphic drivers for linux.

Yes I really do think nvidia is at least partially to blame for the X.org state. Look what happens now after intel and amd/ati started supporting X ... So many cool new technologies are in the works

Comment

• Originally posted by RealNC View Post
          Some people have a life. Also, not everyone works as a developer. Some people work at the bank, others at the postal office. Some are teachers... You can hardly ask the dude who works at Pizza Hut to go learn Unix systems programming in C if he can't even understand a Hello World program in Visual Basic.
          I have a life too. I'm a professional musician. I write drivers out of boredom.

My point was that there's no such thing as a free lunch, and this is no exception. If you want a certain feature implemented, pay somebody. Or be patient. We're working at a rather ridiculous pace already, and features are being implemented at a fairly fast pace.

Originally posted by kensai View Post
          Makes me wonder, if that is the case, then why is that driver still so incomplete on features, and doesn't work right most of the times with r6xx and up. Why are the developers of such drivers still saying they can't implement x and y feature because there is no documentation for that. Yeah, is good AMD has released some documentation, but there are hordes of docs left to be released for the oss driver to be any good, for todays standards.
          Things we don't have documentation for:

- r128, r100, r200. Don't really need it, as we understand these really well, and the code for them is rather self-documenting.
          - Power management. We have most of the AtomBIOS stuff for power management, and it's being tested out, but we don't actually have docs for it. We still know how to do it, though.
          - UVD/UVD2. We will never see full UVD2 docs. Get used to it. UVD is another story, though; docs for that will show up at some point. Doesn't really matter, though, since we can use a shaderful state tracker (from Gallium) to do most of what these chips do.
          - Context management. This ability just doesn't exist, so of course there's no docs on it.
          - AES chip. Ditto.

Features that people bitch and moan about:

- 3D. We have all the docs for this.
          - Power management. No docs, but we know how to do it anyway.
          - Video. Done with Xv.

Oh, look at that, most of the missing features have nothing to do with documentation.

Comment

• Originally posted by RealNC View Post
            Some people have a life. Also, not everyone works as a developer. Some people work at the bank, others at the postal office. Some are teachers... You can hardly ask the dude who works at Pizza Hut to go learn Unix systems programming in C if he can't even understand a Hello World program in Visual Basic.
            Ok, that does it. Not only you are derogatory to the guy volunteering his time to give the community a decent driver ("some people have a life"), but you also have to take to with the folks working in the food service field (apparently they have no brains in your opinion).

Of course _you_ have a life and you spend it in this forum, insulting people!

Comment

• Originally posted by mendieta View Post
              Ok, that does it. Not only you are derogatory to the guy volunteering his time to give the community a decent driver ("some people have a life"), but you also have to take to with the folks working in the food service field (apparently they have no brains in your opinion).

Of course _you_ have a life and you spend it in this forum, insulting people!
              User CP -> Edit ignore list -> "RealNC" -> Done

Comment

• =========================================
                Anyway: Catalyst 9.6 for Linux is GREAT.
                =========================================

My 3x4850's "trifire" is working much much better.

The 9.6 universe-cli results are massively better than the 9.5 results; in most cases double the performance. I've not posted the results yet because I'm working on tweaking. (I don't believe in posting 18 different sets of the same data... I run my tests and post the best set of results. And I'm also thinking about updating to the newest beta Phoronix.)

Originally posted by BlackStar View Post
                If it were only that simple. The problem is that you have to see the responses to that person's posts also.

There will always be people on any particular forum posting their contrary opinions. (I think that in their minds they honestly believe that there is a relationship between how rude they are and how smart they appear.)
                Last edited by keithlm; 16 June 2009, 02:46 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by BlackStar View Post
                  Thanks for the Tip! (I really didn't know about that)

Comment

• Originally posted by E.Dulen View Post
                    But I bought my card just 4 days ago and now I must spend more cash on nVidia card , the cheapest solution for me would be to install winXP
                    Yes it seems it's the cheapest solution. I think it should be a lesson to everyone: Don't buy ATI's stuff, it isn't worth the price.

Comment

• Originally posted by NSLW View Post
                      Yes it seems it's the cheapest solution. I think it should be a lesson to everyone: Don't buy ATI's stuff, it isn't worth the price.
                      And neither is nvidia's - so everybody go buy intel.

Comment

Working...
                      X