AMD Releases Catalyst 9.6 For Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 9.2... Seems like yesterday. Not!

5 months passed and AMD still hasn't figured out how to support anything newer then 2.6.28.

Great.

Comment

• So, after cutting half their produce line off (X1K and below), they still can't get things a little bit better.

Why don't ATI drop support for fglrx at all? so they can save some money to put into better place.

Comment

• They introduced kernel 2.6.9 support (not a typo, that's 2.6.9) with Catalyst 9.6. So they *are* working.

Sigh.

Comment

• I forgot to tell, but I have a catalyst 9.6 working with a stock kernel 2.6.30 without patching the kernel. Just a whole bunch of patches for catalyst. http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=22899 there you go guys, enjoy.

Comment

• or you use the officila 9.6 ebuild from portage and also get all patches and no need for kernel patching.

Comment

• Kudos to the gentoo devs, for having all those patches in fact, I got most of them from gentoo.

Comment

• Actually since "upgrading" to kernel 2.6.28-13.45 on Ubuntu 9.04 I'm starting to observe graphic corruption in 2d desktop (compiz/beryl off). MSI GT725-074US 4850 mobility radeon. x86-64

This time around it's rectangular areas of the screen where the background turns black, and is clearable by switching virtual desktops or otherwise forcing a screen refresh.

Also observed a very small line of 5-10 pixels(horizontal) corruption that appeared while using firefox.

NOTE: I did NOT bother to rebuild/install catalyst 9.6 with the upgrade as it was a minor change, and have not yet installed the latest minor kernel update.

Initially I thought that it might be heat related problems, but the GPU was reporting temps of c. 50C when I first noticed the problem. Also I have not observed this problem under Vista, but there I have a relatively ancient catalyst (8.12) as I can't be bothered to experiment with the dontargue method of overriding idiotic vendor lockins. (Thanks AMD! I REALLY appreciate that!) (Also have to find where I put my Vista backup disks... just in case the dontargue method goes horribly wrong, and maybe time for the MSI mystery BIOS update too...)

Oh yeah, still experiencing random hard locks when playing back video. Seems to occur most commonly AFTER waking from sleep, reqing ALT-PRTSCR+RSEINUB. (This NEVER comes back, as I've left it frozen for up to 15m to see if it was similar to another problem that Ive read about with older ATI card IIRC, where video would freeze for 30s or so then resume "normal" operation.)
                Last edited by cutterjohn; 02 July 2009, 10:11 AM.

Comment

• actually, i've noticed an improvement with this driver release in one area.

using Xv rendering in Mplayer i get no video tearing with compositing enabled.

games on the other hand still seem to have the tearing issue.

for anyone curious i'm using arch/2.6.30

Comment

• Originally posted by cutterjohn View Post
                    Also I have not observed this problem under Vista, but there I have a relatively ancient catalyst (8.12) as I can't be bothered to experiment with the dontargue method of overriding idiotic vendor lockins. (Thanks AMD! I REALLY appreciate that!)
                    Sorry, but I'm not having any luck parsing this. Can you help me understand what you mean here ?
                    Test signature

Comment

• Originally posted by cutterjohn View Post
                      Actually since "upgrading" to kernel 2.6.28-13.45 on Ubuntu 9.04 I'm starting to observe graphic corruption in 2d desktop (compiz/beryl off). MSI GT725-074US 4850 mobility radeon. x86-64

This time around it's rectangular areas of the screen where the background turns black, and is clearable by switching virtual desktops or otherwise forcing a screen refresh.

Also observed a very small line of 5-10 pixels(horizontal) corruption that appeared while using firefox.

NOTE: I did NOT bother to rebuild/install catalyst 9.6 with the upgrade as it was a minor change, and have not yet installed the latest minor kernel update.

Initially I thought that it might be heat related problems, but the GPU was reporting temps of c. 50C when I first noticed the problem. Also I have not observed this problem under Vista, but there I have a relatively ancient catalyst (8.12) as I can't be bothered to experiment with the dontargue method of overriding idiotic vendor lockins. (Thanks AMD! I REALLY appreciate that!) (Also have to find where I put my Vista backup disks... just in case the dontargue method goes horribly wrong, and maybe time for the MSI mystery BIOS update too...)

Oh yeah, still experiencing random hard locks when playing back video. Seems to occur most commonly AFTER waking from sleep, reqing ALT-PRTSCR+RSEINUB. (This NEVER comes back, as I've left it frozen for up to 15m to see if it was similar to another problem that Ive read about with older ATI card IIRC, where video would freeze for 30s or so then resume "normal" operation.)
                      That might still be due to the kernel upgrade, if it doesn't find your fglrx kernel module, it's normal that things don't work
                      Try doing "sudo modprobe fglrx" and see if "dmesg | grep -i fglrx" gives any errors, if either print some error message you should try to rebuild your kernel module.

Comment

Working...
                      X