No announcement yet.

ATI Radeon Driver Re-Write Still Has Work Left

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yep... the thing to remember is that the goal of radeon-rewrite is to be able to use a single code base for both TTM and non-TTM systems, since both of them will need to be fully supported over the next year or two. On a non-TTM system, radeon-rewrite is supposed to be "no worse, and easier to maintain in the future", while on a TTM system it should provide a good base for adding new features (eg the VBO and OQ work already in progress).

Between non-TTM and TTM, testing on non-TTM systems is definitely the most time-critical since all future Mesa releases will be using this code base and any problems translate directly into regressions for current users.

Michael's testing confirmed that there is more work to do before the next Mesa release. This was understood by the devs before the merge, but the consensus was that it made more sense to merge now and get more people testing the code than to try and "make the code perfect in a branch" and drop it into master at the last minute.
    Last edited by bridgman; 15 June 2009, 01:05 PM.
    Test signature

Comment

So, say I have an Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic alpha install (kept updated), a Radeon 4670 (on an RS690/X1250 board, so I could test that, too)... would that be a non-TTM system? Would I be able to help with the testing?

Comment

Ubuntu 9.10 is a non-TTM system. TTM is in the process of being merged into the 2.6.31 kernel, but that hasn't gone through yet and Ubuntu 9.10 uses the 2.6.30 kernel.

Still, it might be useful to try it out and see if there are regressions or if there are any improvements. It might help the devs find problems with non-TTM systems.

Comment

Note that neither radeon-rewrite nor mesa master include support for 6xx-7xx GPUs (6xx-7xx is in the 6xx-rewrite branch) so for now you'll need to test with a display connected to the RS690.
          Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by Pitabred View Post
            So, say I have an Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic alpha install (kept updated), a Radeon 4670 (on an RS690/X1250 board, so I could test that, too)... would that be a non-TTM system? Would I be able to help with the testing?
            Yes, Karmic is (still) a non-TTM system. But please see http://phoronix.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17615 about testing out TTM/KMS on it

Ubuntu 9.10 will probably have 2.6.31, and it is not certain that 2.6.31 will have the radeon KMS. However, it is possible that Ubuntu 9.10 will patch the kernel for it if the bits get stable enough in time.

Comment

Well, I thought enough time had passed and chose an asus mobo with ati 3300 HD onboard (1080p capable said the box). It sucks. Admittedly, it does work, but not well enough for 1080p. So after a couple reconfiguration attempts, I sent a nastly letter to AMD and bought a passive nvidia 9600GT. glxgears showed ~1200fps for the ATI (using their fglrx drivers) and ~12000+fps for an nvidia 6800 GTS (also w. proprietary drivers). Good luck ATI, perhaps I'll revisit their stuff in another couple years.
              Last edited by benow; 22 June 2009, 04:40 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by benow View Post
                I sent a nastly letter to AMD
                They've got you, you know where

But to be serious, I think that someone should add big warning banner like big warning sign on Phoronix home site, which would advertise user not to buy ATI shitty products.

Comment

Originally posted by tormod View Post
                  Yes, Karmic is (still) a non-TTM system. But please see http://phoronix.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17615 about testing out TTM/KMS on it

Ubuntu 9.10 will probably have 2.6.31, and it is not certain that 2.6.31 will have the radeon KMS. However, it is possible that Ubuntu 9.10 will patch the kernel for it if the bits get stable enough in time.
                  Pretty sure 2.6.31 is confirmed to have Radeon KMS in the Staging section. I highly, highly doubt that Ubuntu includes modules or has built in support for stuff in the Staging section though, so you'd probably have to compile the kernel yourself on Ubuntu.

Comment

Working...
                  X