ATIx1950+RaedonHD+KDE 4.2/4.3b+ compositing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ATIx1950+RaedonHD+KDE 4.2/4.3b+ compositing

Hi guys - this is a very newbie question (For someone using linux for 2 years without much time to tanker) but basically I want some help getting KWin going on my system. I've only ever had it going out-of-the-box in Mandriva and I know that proprietary driver no longer supports the X1950 (?RV570). From what I can tell I'm using the radeonHD driver under mesa (or at least, that's what's installed on the package manager). Do I need a different driver to get compositing going? If so, how do I easily switch between them or do I still need to dig into xorg.conf? I feel like I'm missing something obvious here.

It should just work out-of-the-box on any recent (in the last year) distribution. What problems are you having?

Adam

Comment

Use radeon, not radeonhd.

Comment

Though I do also prefer radeon, either one should work. If switching does not help, please explain your problem.

Adam

Comment

For lenny that will not work and this was released 14/04/09. As you need Xserver 1.5+ for composite you should mention that.

Comment

Alright, maybe I should say that it should work on any recent, decent, up-to-date distribution out-of-the-box. That shoudl cover the Lenny scenario.

And, btw, isn't compositing supported on X server 1.4.* with radeonhd and radeon for r500 cards? Perhaps opengl isn't (I don't really remember), but I'm fairly certain the composite extension and render are both supported on older X servers.

Adam

Comment

I've had this trouble before but for quite a while now I've been using OpenSUSE (latest release), and most recently KDE4Live. I first noticed a problem when I tried adding the Blue Marble widget to the desktop only to see "This object could not be created for the following reason: OpenGL Shaders not supported".

So then I went to "configure desktop effects" and hit enable and got the following: "Failure to activate desktop effects using the given configuration options. Settings will be reverted to the previous values. Check your X configuration. You may also consider changing advanced options, especially changing the compositing type"

Any ideas? As I said, running KDE4Live right now but I had the same sequence of errors on stable also.

Thanks for all your help!

Comment

So are you saying it works till you try to enable the Blue Marble widget? That one just won't work due to the lack of GLSL, as that message said. Not sure why that would cause the KDE effects to stop working, though.

Adam

Comment

No, neither of them work at all.

Comment

What is the output of 'glxinfo | grep -i renderer' ?

Adam

Comment

Working...
                    X