X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank you, whoever was behind bugmenot this time

Comment

Grimy Fingers?

This is awesome news. Just be sure to keep a bottle of Windex(TM) and a microfiber cloth within reach of your monitor!

Comment

Holly cow! that's a very sexy piece of technology! Maybe we, linux community, will have out of box multitouch devices (ie: notebooks/PDA) for real!

Comment

Honestly, I'm more excited about Qt getting multi-touch (and with this development, possibly for Linux in the near future).

You just know the KDE folks will do what it takes to make this shine. My father bought a MacBook Pro yesterday, and I've been trying to do three-finger navigation ever since.

Comment

Originally posted by JeanPaul145 View Post
            Google purposefully took multitouch out of Android on Apple's request.
            Um...Apple can %#!@ off. Can't put it any other way really. Touching something at at the same time, ooooh, yeah Linux has had it for a long time, Youtube MPX sometime, it's been all over the place, and it's nothing "special", it's just that it's finally being used in programs. Screw Apple and screw software patents, which this probably has something to do with.

And back on topic: cool.

Comment

MPX is multi-point, not multi-touch.

They're not the same, but it's a very broad category. Apple seems to like throwing out these very broad patents on very obvious technologies.

Windows 7 has multi-touch. I'm hoping, if Apple does hold such a patent, that it'll try to enforce it against Microsoft. They can handle it and let everyone enjoy

Comment

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

MPX - yes it's multi pointer - but what are they doing?
                TOUCHING THE SCREEN!!

Go look up the information before blindly replying!

Linux had TRUE multi-user, multi-touch screens ages ago.
                Funny how Windows and Apple are just cottoning on and actually using all this publicity to push something that was seen and proven years ago...

Almost like they were waiting for the GPL guys to iron out all the bugs (and the tech price to come down of course).

Now we're getting proper touch-screens (resistive layer/whatever) then I see it becoming more prevalent, and the image of Linux being that of the runner-up still being true.

Comment

That video does not show multi-touch.

Multi-point + touch != multi-touch.

In multi-point touch, each touch is treated as a separate pointer. That's what you see in that video. Multi-touch treats separate touches together as gestures. You know how on a MacBook, you can pinch your fingers together/apart to zoom, running two-fingers across the pad will scroll, three will navigate, etc. With multi-point touch, swiping two fingers down would move two cursors down on the screen, not scroll.

Multi-point touch is undoubtedly awesome, but it's not multi-touch.

Comment

Quite true, I stand corrected.

I thought I remembered that vid having multi-touch on the map, but it doesn't.

I was also thinking about the Jefferson Han stuff - back in 2006.
                    Of course that is just an SDK which looks like it actually runs on Windows (Perceptive Pixel) - but I wouldn't be 100% sure.
                    Half of the earlier FTIR was on Linux, while the other half was done in Flash IIRC.

I also think the progression from resizing a window (as shown in the video) is not such a big leap away from "guestures".

I think that a patent for multi-touch on a specific device (which I'm thinking Apple/MS would do) is totally idiotic.
                    Multi touch on a wall, is the same as multi-touch on a floor, is the same as multi-touch in your pocket (ignoring the fact you'd have to group the 'multi-touch'es in different sized circles in each).

.. Sorry, I ramble..

Comment

I do not really like touching the display all the time. Maybe usefull for little devices. Or do displays clear now themself from fingertips

Comment

Working...
                      X