Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radeon 1800 + open source radeon = can't login

Hi,

I installed latest 'radeon' open sourced driver, changed in xorg.conf 'vesa' to 'radeon' (nothing more is changed in .conf file) and restarted X.
    After it i can only see login window, and mouse pointer always swirling, rounding. And i can't enter anything there. Even if i enter, i can't see what i'm entering and can hear login sounds.
    And all the time i see only the login window...

I'm on Fujitsi Siemens 1546 (17'' screen), video card ATI Mobility Radeon X1800, Ubuntu 9.04.

Does anyone know what to do about it?

The default driver is relatively old, best update it.

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
      The default driver is relatively old, best update it.
      Thanks for answering! Do you mean the default 'vesa' driver?

Comment

No the radeon driver. I have got iso images with much newer radeon(hd) drivers + 2.6.30 kernel, which even allows you to use fglrx if you want to try. But those are Debian 5.0 and not U 9.04 based.

Comment

Hey, that sounds like a great idea! i'm mostly a new comer to Unix world, and feel really curious about it all.

how can i get your files? have a link or something? i owe you a vodka

Comment

In Ubuntu 9.04 the default (and supported) driver for this card is the ati/radeon driver. So please try without any xorg.conf. If that does not work, please file a bug using "ubuntu-bug xserver-xorg-video-ati". If you want to try out newer test versions, see https://launchpad.net/~tormodvolden/+archive/ppa

Comment

Well you still can not install fglrx with U 9.04.

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
                Well you still can not install fglrx with U 9.04.
                We here at the "Open-Source AMD/ATI Linux" forum do not care XXXX about fglrx, don't we The official support for this card from ATI is now through the open-source drivers AFAIK.

Comment

Originally posted by tormod View Post
                  The official support for this card from ATI is now through the open-source drivers AFAIK.
                  In the open source forum, definitely. In the fglrx forum, not so much
                  Test signature

Comment

Heh, sometimes it's a bit tough to find answers.
                    I tried without any xorg.conf, simply removed it, and still not working.

My only quess is that i need to tune my xorg.conf to get it working with 'radeon', and the only problem so far is that i can't get hsync/vsync values for my monitor. Just looks like Ubuntu recognizes driver and video card, but doesn't want to recognize the monitor itself. sounds strange... and i'm still fighting with it because really don't want to get back to Windows

Comment

Working...
                    X