RadeonHD and Mobility 3650 HD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RadeonHD and Mobility 3650 HD

I'm trying to set up RadeonHD on my laptop (Toshiba Satellite A350-01N), which has an ATI Mobility 3650 HD. Is RadeonHD Compatible? (I know flgrx is not).

Edit: In case it is, here is my Xorg.0.log from trying to use it. I'm not sure why it didn't work.

Edit 2: My posting doesn't seem to work here, but I've tried it again, and got a few interesting errors.

Here is the error I receive:
    "Ubuntu is running low-graphics mode

The following error was encountered. You may need to update your configuration to solve this.

(EE) RADEONHD(0): rhdAtomLvdsDDC: Unknown Record Type: f8
    (EE) RADEONHD(0): D1CRTCDisable: Failed to Unsync CRTC 1
    (EE) RADEONHD(0): rhdALLIdle: Unable to stop CRTC: Cannot idle MC"

My xorg.conf looks like this.

I also noticed when I (this time) got it to run in Low graphics mode, it claimed that a Xserver was already running on Display 0 (I have a single display). I don't know if this is related, but sometimes when I tell it to turn off, it hangs with an xserver running without quitting. Somehow eliminating both of these errors would be great
    Last edited by Gralamin; 11 June 2009, 01:27 AM.

That xorg log is from the Vesa driver, not radeonhd.

Looks like you're running Jaunty, which should have automatically installed versions of the radeon driver and drm which supported EXA and Xv acceleration.

Did you try those drivers, or did you immediately try to go to radeonhd ?

Which version of radeonhd did you try, and where did you get it (package, build from source etc...).
    Test signature

Comment

EXA (2D acceleration) and Xv (movie rendering) should both be fully supported with your RadeonHD driver. OpenGL (3D acceleration) won't be fully ready for another 3-4 months at best.

I have an Ati RadeonHD 3650 graphics card and both 2D/video work fine.

What problems are you facing, specifically? I looked at the pastebin, but I'm afraid I'm not yet experienced enough to know what all that means. ^_^T

EDIT: blastit, Bridgman beat me... xP

Comment

SUPPORTED HARDWARE
        The radeonhd driver supports video cards based on the following ATI chips:
        M86 Mobility Radeon HD 3650, HD 3670, Mobility FireGL V5700
        The version of radeonhd in the repo should be sufficient, but if you want the latest version of the radeonhd driver, build it yourself or use https://launchpad.net/~tormodvolden/+archive/ppa

Building your own: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RadeonHD

Configuring xorg.conf
        Code:
        Section "Device"
                #...     
                [B]Driver   "radeonhd"
                Option   "DRI"
                Option   "AccelMethod"  "EXA"[/B]
        EndSection

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post
          The version of radeonhd in the repo should be sufficient, but if you want the latest version of the radeonhd driver, build it yourself or use https://launchpad.net/~tormodvolden/+archive/ppa

Building your own: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RadeonHD

Configuring xorg.conf
          Code:
          Section "Device"
                  #...     
                  [B]Driver   "radeonhd"
                  Option   "DRI"
                  Option   "AccelMethod"  "EXA"[/B]
          EndSection
          Maybe thirds times the charm. (For posting this)
          I used that link, and Followed the instructions except the part about getting the DRM (Jaunty should already have it, after all). I ended up in low graphics mode after some error (I could reproduce it, though I do not know what it was), and it gave me the option to change it back, so I did.

Comment

Originally posted by Darkfire Fox View Post
            OpenGL (3D acceleration) won't be fully ready for another 3-4 months at best.
            Is that a recently informed guestimate? I have the exact same card in my Thinkpad and I am very much looking forward to OpenGL, only it has been pretty quite about this lately.

On a side note, the "radeon" driver which I use works pretty well. The only glitch is that sometimes when the laptop resumes from sleeping the screen turns all white and the laptop becomes unresponsive... :-(

Comment

Posting finally seems to work for me.. this is also in the first post now.

Here is the error I receive:
              "Ubuntu is running low-graphics mode

The following error was encountered. You may need to update your configuration to solve this.

(EE) RADEONHD(0): rhdAtomLvdsDDC: Unknown Record Type: f8
              (EE) RADEONHD(0): D1CRTCDisable: Failed to Unsync CRTC 1
              (EE) RADEONHD(0): rhdALLIdle: Unable to stop CRTC: Cannot idle MC"

My xorg.conf looks like this.

I also noticed when I (this time) got it to run in Low graphics mode, it claimed that a Xserver was already running on Display 0 (I have a single display). I don't know if this is related, but sometimes when I tell it to turn off, it hangs with an xserver running without quitting. Somehow eliminating both of these errors would be great

Comment

Originally posted by korpenkraxar View Post
                Is that a recently informed guestimate? I have the exact same card in my Thinkpad and I am very much looking forward to OpenGL, only it has been pretty quite about this lately.

On a side note, the "radeon" driver which I use works pretty well. The only glitch is that sometimes when the laptop resumes from sleeping the screen turns all white and the laptop becomes unresponsive... :-(
                Yeah, well, no one really knows for sure, not even the developers!

My idea of "fully ready" OpenGL is being able to play with Blender models and not suffer X crashes or kernel panic.

FEER TEH RATH OF COLONEL OOPS!!!

*ahem* And yes, I have the same resume-from-sleep/hibernation issues :-/

Comment

Just in case anything of worth comes out of this thread, under instruction of #radeonhd I filed a bug report that can be found here

Comment

Working...
                  X