Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 2.6.30 Kernel Released

Phoronix: Linux 2.6.30 Kernel Released

Just as planned, Linus Torvalds has released the Linux 2.6.30 kernel. Linux 2.6.30 introduces the NILFS2 file-system, new and updated drivers, support for the Microblaze CPU architecture, and many other changes...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

For all interested, h-online.com has a great overview about the changes and features of the new Linux kernel.
    The H is closing its doors four and a half years after heise online UK was redesigned as a open source and security news and features web destination

Comment

I use AMD Catalyst

Comment

Are there any patches for Catalyst 9.5 to make it compatible for 2.6.30?
        Do i need to compile 2.6.30 with any specific option?

Comment

Yep. And also a bug correction about latency in I/O scheduler concerning only amd64 builds.

The bug is not completely corrected, but things seems to be far better then they were with previous kernel releases.

Here's a link to the post in gentoo forums :
          http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t...ighlight-.html

Comment

It is possible to patch fglrx for 2.6.30, when you look at this board you find it Minimal requirement as kernel patch is:
            Code:
            diff --git a/arch/x86/mm/tlb.c b/arch/x86/mm/tlb.c
            index 61ddfa0..3d26c0b 100644
            --- a/arch/x86/mm/tlb.c
            +++ b/arch/x86/mm/tlb.c
            @@ -279,6 +279,7 @@ void flush_tlb_page(struct vm_area_struct *vma, unsigned long va)

preempt_enable();
             }
            +EXPORT_SYMBOL(flush_tlb_page);

static void do_flush_tlb_all(void *info)
             {
            otherwise you will be out of luck as that symbol is used in the binary part. If somebody has got a better idea then let me know.

Comment

I've just downloaded and compiled 2.6.30 on my main pc.
              Apparently it doesn't like it much though - kernel panic can't mount FS on /dev/sda2.

Booting back in 2.6.29 using the same grub settings works fine though.. But only had 5 minutes to investigate so far
              Last edited by henricbl; 10 June 2009, 09:48 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by henricbl View Post
                I've just downloaded and compiled 2.6.30 on my main pc.
                Apparently it doesn't like it much though - kernel panic can't mount FS on /dev/sda2.

Booting back in 2.6.29 using the same grub settings works fine though.. But only had 5 minutes to investigate so far
                You're likely to have missed including a filesystem or sata driver or something when going through the kernel config.

Comment

You usually don't go through the kernel config at all. You simply clone the current config:

zcat /proc/config.gz > .config
                  make oldconfig
                  make -j4
                  make install_modules
                  make install

And that's it.

Comment

Mirv, RealNC:
                    Yep that's what I did. I copied my current .config in to the 2.6.30 folder

Comment

Working...
                    X