No announcement yet.

Linux 2.6.30 Kernel Released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'd recommend going through the config anyway (make menuconfig is my favourite). I typically copy the config, then check everything is ok as I've found that it doesn't always work properly. Can't hurt to look at the very least.

Comment

Yes, it is always better to do a make menuconfig (or equivalent). Besides, I even do a diff (-ruN) to check what is new (kind of a crude way, but works for me).

Aside, I was wating for the kernel.org page to be updated.

Comment

Absolutely not related to anything, but:
        coverage of a eral release

Comment

Originally posted by mirv View Post
          I'd recommend going through the config anyway (make menuconfig is my favourite). I typically copy the config, then check everything is ok as I've found that it doesn't always work properly. Can't hurt to look at the very least.
          Same here. I always go through menuconfig or xconfig even on minor revisions. Sometimes a new feature or driver is added, something can have moved or whatever. Once you do that a few times you get quicker with just looking if everything is in place. Otherwise one can explain a panic also by a missing command line parameter in grub.conf (menu.lst). Or a specific issue with your HW and a new/reworked driver. But that should be rare. On should check all the output possible when having a panic. Most times I also just forgot an FS in the compilation on my root. Or I moved HDDs around and booted without use of UUIDs.
          Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Originally posted by nkef View Post
            Are there any patches for Catalyst 9.5 to make it compatible for 2.6.30?
            Do i need to compile 2.6.30 with any specific option?
            I remember only that I had to cut out fb-drivers since earlier they weren't working well with fglrx and vv. And having to use pci_find_something and export unused/obsolete symblos and stuff. But I have given up on all that since at the moment the free drivers do ok for me, okay, yet lack of 3d and powerplay on newer chips but that's to come soon hopefully. And they just work. With graphic VTs and kernels of all kind. Here they more often need a very recent kernel release to make full use of the HW.
            Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Working...
            X