Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Releases Support For New, Unreleased IGP

Phoronix: Intel Releases Support For New, Unreleased IGP

Last year Intel had launched the GMA X4500HD integrated graphics processor as a nice upgrade to their G3x series. Our Linux results found these chipsets with Intel integrated graphics to perform better than past Intel IGPs, but still was limited in what games and tests could run on the G43/45 hardware with the open-source Intel Linux driver stack...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Still waiting on that mythical video acceleration Intel...

Comment

Is there any plan to implement H264/VC1 hardware acceleration (available on GMA4500 hardware) on the driver anytime soon?

Comment

A couple of Intel guys spoke about it earlier this year, but to be honest, it didn't sound promising for anything until at least 2010.

They've been talking about it a long time but with no results. I'll be pretty disappointed if they bring out a new chipset, then only support accelerated playback on that rather than the G4x as well.

Comment

Looks like CPU integrated gfx for i5:

Those are basically G45 - so do not expect major driver changes.

Comment

There is also the new Atom Pinetrail platform. Were they got rid of the Northbridge and sucked its functionality into the south bridge and moved the graphics into the processor.

Made the GPU a core on the CPU, more or less.

Comment

Yes, but that is definitely not supported by the commit mentioned in the article.

Comment

Thats to bad. I am paranoid that the Atom PineTrail stuff is going to end up like the GMA 500 and require proprietary drivers.

I haven't heard much information on whether its GMA stuff or if its PowerVR stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by noisymime View Post
                  A couple of Intel guys spoke about it earlier this year, but to be honest, it didn't sound promising for anything until at least 2010.

They've been talking about it a long time but with no results. I'll be pretty disappointed if they bring out a new chipset, then only support accelerated playback on that rather than the G4x as well.
                  I wouldn't be surprised if accelerated video playback is the next big target for Intel. They have been working hard with KMS/DRI2/GEM/UXA etc. for quite a while now and that's just about finished.

Would be nice if Phoronix could do an interview with a couple of Intel devs about their plans.

Comment

Originally posted by drag View Post
                    Thats to bad. I am paranoid that the Atom PineTrail stuff is going to end up like the GMA 500 and require proprietary drivers.

I haven't heard much information on whether its GMA stuff or if its PowerVR stuff.
                    GMA 500 only needs proprietary drivers because it's not actually an Intel GPU. It's PowerVR, so all the IP is licensed from a third party (Imagination Technologies) and thus isn't Intel's to open up. Anything developed in-house wouldn't have that problem.

Comment

Working...
                    X