Testing radeon KMS on Ubuntu

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by madman2k View Post
    Then I tried to install the karmic packages on my jaunty installation. This did not work.
    It loads VESA as default
    So you did not read the note on the PPA page, obviously.
    and if I force radeon via xorg.conf, it gives me:
    Are you actually booting the kernel from the PPA?

Comment

Originally posted by samentu View Post
      Thanks for the quick replies.
      I did not tested Karmic before installing the KMS kernel. My bad
      I created the radeon-kms.conf file but I see no change. So I don't know what this should fix
      It should turn off AGP mode (and use PCI mode instead) on AGP cards. But you have a PCI-E card, right?
      And another thing ... do you guys have plymouth packages for karmic in ppa?
      The plan for Karmic is to not use plymouth nor usplash, but rather make the boot so fast that you would not care

There is a PPA somewhere with plymouth packages IIRC. Search for it.

Comment

I added a warning to the original post. For instance, if you are sticking to Jaunty for some reason, maybe you should not install these packages for the same reason.

I can confirm that both suspend and hibernation is broken, but I am not sure if it is KMS or another kernel problem. I even had bits of my .bash_history and firefox profile ending up in /var/log/syslog so there is apparently the possibility of major file (system) corruption.

Comment

Originally posted by tormod View Post
          So you did not read the note on the PPA page, obviously.
          nope, but I figured out myself

Are you actually booting the kernel from the PPA?
          yup I do - Im getting high res console and usplash gets kicked out. probably something is not getting initialized properly - something that should have been also re-initialzed on wakeup from suspend.

Comment

It should turn off AGP mode (and use PCI mode instead) on AGP cards. But you have a PCI-E card, right?

The plan for Karmic is to not use plymouth nor usplash, but rather make the boot so fast that you would not care

There is a PPA somewhere with plymouth packages IIRC. Search for it.
            Yes, indeed I have a PCI-Express card.
            I've read about the boot in under 10 seconds for karmic ... I just hope they do that for this next release.
            Thanks again

Comment

I can confirm that both suspend and hibernation is broken, but I am not sure if it is KMS or another kernel problem. I even had bits of my .bash_history and firefox profile ending up in /var/log/syslog so there is apparently the possibility of major file (system) corruption.
              I think that Ubuntu is using vbetool to POST gpu when resuming from suspend to RAM - that may lead to crash or hang when KMS is enabled. There are possibly also other issues.

Comment

I have ASUS AH3650 (a.k.a. ATI Radeon HD 3650 512M). Machine is 64/bit AMD Phenom X3 4950 (I think).
                I am using Jaunty with 2.6.30./rc8 and 2.6.30-8.999 daily kernel and radeon driver from tormod`s ppa ...
                I`ve tried Your Live/CD (it is 32/bit?)(I am writing this while on it) and (compiz is not woking but I do not care) I would like to try it on Jaunty. What is the right way to do that. My 2.6.30/rc8 kernel is not the right one? I should add Your repository, update what is updateable automatically and then manually install that kernel? What problems should I expect on that route to ... ?
                update: I've upgraded to Karmic in the meantime. So I will try to follow instructions on the ppa site. The only thing that bugs me is: what happens if I try to use different (read newer) kernel that is not from that ppa? Will the kernel be updated on Your ppa in the same rhythm as it is coming on in mainline ... ?
                update-1: It was worth of all the "trouble" ... Glxgears almost doubled, compiz is not working (who cares) but card is, at last, coming near some of its previous performances in Ubuntu... Thank You for all the work You are doing for our little community.
                update-2: For those who might be interested, it works with 2.6.30-8.999 (from mainline, latest daily) but with crippled speed (the same as it was in Karmic before I applied updates from Your ppa) but it boots in 5 sconds less with 2.6.30-8.999 than with Your version of 2.6.30-8-generic. I can live with that 5 seconds more ...
                Last edited by zika; 08 June 2009, 10:29 AM.

Comment

Will this work with RS780 chips (HD3200), probably been asked already or mentioned somewhere but I haven't been keeping up with all the latest radeon KMS and 3D stuff

Comment

The above page also links to a Karmic-based live CD image (URL might change) which has all bits installed and simply boots up to the wonderful world of KMS...
                    I installed this on a T60p with a FireGL V5200 and it works as expected. S2RAM is broken, probably due to Ubuntu's VBE check. The rest works just smooth, with wobbly compiz, 720p videos, moving glxgears on the cube.

Different from jglisse's git version and a modified kernel on my Mandriva system, even Flash HD videos work rather well in fullscreen. This is an enormous progress ;-) [1]

Generally speaking, the performance is awesome and the advantages of KMS become more and more obvious.

Thanks for the great work!

[1] Is there chance for the near future to get
                    * GL_ARB_multitexture
                    * GL_EXT_framebuffer_object
                    * GL_ARB_shader_objects
                    * GL_ARB_shading_language_100
                    * GL_ARB_fragment_shader
                    working with my FireGL card? I *really* would like to make use of GPU accelerated flash videos.

Comment

On Jaunty, the VBE POST on resume quirk is configured in /usr/share/hal/fdi/information/10freedesktop/20-video-quirk-pm-*

Check /var/log/pm-suspend to see which quirks are in use.

On Karmic these quirks should be automatically disabled when KMS is in use (by /usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/98smart-kernel-video).
                      Last edited by tormod; 08 June 2009, 05:36 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X