Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Getting Open Source 3D graphics on R6XX/R7XX cards (NO FGLRX)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by zika View Post
    Does mesa 7.7.0 and other stuff from xorg-edgers work with 2.6.31-14.48-generic (lateset Karmic)?
    On ATI HD3650 I've upgraded my drivers from xorg-edgers and it works nicely (no compiz without radeon.modeset=1) but it seems to have problems with 2.6.31-14.48-generic. I will try it also with my 2.6.31-9-rt. It is not a big deal I just do not want to mess my box now because I have some stuff to do.
    Update: 2.6.31-9-rt works. Problem with 2.6.31-14.48-generic might have been with external USB disk at boot time, ... I will investigate more myself.
    Mesa is kernel independent so yes. 7.7-devel will work. I've used it on 2.6.24 and it worked just fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Neo_The_User View Post
      Mesa is kernel independent so yes. 7.7-devel will work. I've used it on 2.6.24 and it worked just fine.
      I was asking because my upgrade to 7.7.0 several weeks ago messed up my box badly and it had to be reinstalled. It was OK and, once I tried upgrade to 7.7.0 out of sick curiosity it did it again. So I waited for several weeks and tried again. Now it seems to work, still I have to get it with 2.6.31-14-generic because it stalled this morning just after I wrote my message. So, there is a bit of doubt in my mind ...
      Update: It works now. It seems that external USB disk does not start in some predesignated time sometime ... That disk was not here when the crashes happened so that is not the culprit for those experiences.
      Last edited by zika; 25 October 2009, 02:14 PM.

Comment

Re-installing a distro because X is broken is never ever necessary nor recommended. Next time, post /var/log/Xorg.0.log, dmesg, and xorg.conf file to pastebin so I can help you (or anybody who knows the answer) for next time. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Neo_The_User View Post
          Re-installing a distro because X is broken is never ever necessary nor recommended. Next time, post /var/log/Xorg.0.log, dmesg, and xorg.conf file to pastebin so I can help you (or anybody who knows the answer) for next time. Thanks.
          It was messed on the very low level. Fsck was unable to solve more that 100 screens of errors. And it happened almost the same way twice. I did not loose any data but it was beyond any kind of repair. It was perfectly working installation at one moment and after that upgrade ... And once I made all adjustments I was silly enough to do the same thing just to test what might be a source for these problems. I'm not blaming anybody just sharing my experience with readers of this Forum. I was brave enough, or stupid enough, several weeks later, few days ago, to do the same thing and it all went well. Thank You for Your kind offer but ... I've managed may crashes of X and solved them without resorting to re-install, if I count, in all of my experience with Ubuntu I did only 4 or 5 re-installs due to problems. I am a strong and stubborn oponent of re-install unless it is the only option. All other installs were merely to get everything clean once in a while. I love xorg-edgers and it is addictive so ... It was hard time these several weeks withholding myself not to upgrade. That is the same reason why I always have -999 kernel installed and why I am eagerly waiting to jump on the Lynx wagon ...

Comment

zika,
            Are you east of UTC (i.e. GMT +xx)? If so, it could be due to the bugs below. I'm in Australia and experienced them when I resized my Jaunty partition and installed Karmic alpha4 (or 5, I forgot).
            Binary package hint: e2fsprogs When you are East of UTC, and your hardware clock is in localtime not UTC, and you have to force power down, fsck fails on boot because the last write time is in the future. This is caused by a bug in the ext3/4 filesystem code in kernel, where it updates the superblock last write time from the system clock after replaying the journal - but the system clock contains localtime not UTC since we haven't had an opportunity to correct it yet. Ted Tso (ext3/4 upstr...

Binary package hint: gparted Running from a live cd image of ubuntu 9.04 through virtual box. When trying to shrink a partition (on a virtual box HDD) I got a message saying the e2fsck should be run on the affected partition. It was run and finished without errors:    check file system on /dev/sda5 for errors and (if possible) fix them 00:04:02 ( SUCCESS )    e2fsck -f -y -v /dev/sda5       ....    shrink file system 00:00:01 ( ERROR )    resize2fs /dev/sda5 15791863K    resize2f...

Comment

Originally posted by pvautrin View Post
              zika,
              Are you east of UTC (i.e. GMT +xx)? If so, it could be due to the bugs below. I'm in Australia and experienced them when I resized my Jaunty partition and installed Karmic alpha4 (or 5, I forgot).
              Binary package hint: e2fsprogs When you are East of UTC, and your hardware clock is in localtime not UTC, and you have to force power down, fsck fails on boot because the last write time is in the future. This is caused by a bug in the ext3/4 filesystem code in kernel, where it updates the superblock last write time from the system clock after replaying the journal - but the system clock contains localtime not UTC since we haven't had an opportunity to correct it yet. Ted Tso (ext3/4 upstr...

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ed/+bug/373409
              I am in Srbija so I think I am as of yesterday GMT+1, was GMT+2 at the time these things happened. The only scenario is that I forced shutdown and was bitten by the bug. That is a good point You made. So, I have to be more careful because I could be bitten any day again. Scary ... I'll investigate a bit further. In any case, thank You very much for a valuable insight.

Comment

Since I'm using xorg-edgers also with 2.6.32-999, what is going to happen to my graphics if I upgrade to Lucid at this stage when xorg-edgers does not have Lucid covered? Am I going to degrade my graphics experience or what?

Comment

Since I'm using xorg-edgers also with 2.6.32-999, what is going to happen to my graphics if I upgrade to Lucid at this stage when xorg-edgers does not have Lucid covered? Am I going to degrade my graphics experience or what?
                  There are no Lucid packages at this point so don't worry And if the packages you have installed (from a PPA) have a higher version than the Lucid version, they will not be upgraded.

Note that xorg-edgers just tracks the development, it is not a guarantee of best performance or stability.

Comment

Originally posted by tormod View Post
                    There are no Lucid packages at this point so don't worry And if the packages you have installed (from a PPA) have a higher version than the Lucid version, they will not be upgraded.

Note that xorg-edgers just tracks the development, it is not a guarantee of best performance or stability.
                    Where can I find best performance and stability. I've searched around and came to xorg-edgers. When do You plan to open Lucid branch?

Comment

Where can I find best performance and stability. I've searched around and came to xorg-edgers. When do You plan to open Lucid branch?
                      Well, in a perfect world, developers will only make improvements and only commit stuff with no regressions... Over the last months it has almost been like this in Xorg, so you're at the right place

As long as you are capable of identifying when things work or not, and know how to revert to an older set of packages, and can tolerate the odd hang or crash, there is not much problem in using xorg-edgers IMO.

The Lucid branch will start soon, as soon as there will be some new Lucid Xorg packages, next week probably. For now only the Lucid kernel has been updated for what the Xorg stack is concerned.

Comment

Working...
                      X