Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wine 1.1.23 Released With Various Fixes

Phoronix: Wine 1.1.23 Released With Various Fixes

A new bi-weekly development update of Wine is now available. The release of Wine 1.1.23 is not as exciting as some of the other development updates recently that have brought cleaner Direct3D code, initial Shader Model 4.0 support, and other exciting enhancements, but there are a few changes the developers list as important for version 1.1.23. The key changes in Wine 1.1.23 is support for registering MIME types with the Linux desktop, FBO (Frame Buffer Object) mode is now the default for Direct3D, support for COM proxy delegation, improved support for Mingw cross-compilation, and proper full-screen mode for the virtual desktop...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Anybody knows if HALO works out of the box? I mean no additional DLLs or broken mouse cursor when installing, which makes you unable to install the game.

Comment

Originally posted by hax0r View Post
      Anybody knows if HALO works out of the box? I mean no additional DLLs or broken mouse cursor when installing, which makes you unable to install the game.
      Have you checked the appdb (appdb.winehq.org)

Comment

Originally posted by hax0r View Post

Comment

Thanks guys. Cursor still doesn't work within the installer, so you have to blindly navigate with keyboard. I installed the game, but there appear to be visual glitches which render game unplayable, also I can't play in fullscreen and max resolution is capped at 1600x1200.

Also mouse is acting funky and while playing masterchief can only turn 90 degrees to left or right, I can't look behind. I wouldn't call this "gold' support as winehq.org does.

Comment

Look there:

MouseWarpOverride -> disabled

helps a for some games. Do you use ATI or NV?

Comment

As of 1.1.23 we enable the use of framebuffer objects (FBOs) by default. This tends to be relatively buggy on ATI. Set the OffscreenRenderingMethod option to backbuffer to restore the old behavior. We don't intend to add a ATI check and fall back to backbuffer. FBOs are critical for supporting all D3D9 features and they are also critical for performance. The ATI drivers need heavy improvements in this area. Adding a ATI fallback would delay this only.

Comment

I must quote this two times, one for users with non-nVidia cards...

Originally posted by Thunderbird View Post
                As of 1.1.23 we enable the use of framebuffer objects (FBOs) by default. This tends to be relatively buggy on ATI. Set the OffscreenRenderingMethod option to backbuffer to restore the old behavior. We don't intend to add a ATI check and fall back to backbuffer. FBOs are critical for supporting all D3D9 features and they are also critical for performance. The ATI drivers need heavy improvements in this area. Adding a ATI fallback would delay this only.
                and one for these with other then nVidia OpenGL implementations

nVine is the proper name for this software shame!

Comment

FBOs have been around for years and they are critical for D3D9 gaming. (They are a core part of OpenGL 3.0 but they already existed for OpenGL 2.0) For all games released in the last 4-5 years you need to enable FBOs else various things won't get rendered or you can't get some 3d effects. Enabling this option improves user experience.

The issue is mainly for fglrx as most open source drivers don't offer FBOs yet. Sometimes drastic changes have to be made. The ATI drivers offer the functionality but just in various cases they are buggy (crash or cause major rendering issues). We have a d3d9 test suite in Wine (we have had it for years) and over the years we have advised to use it (ATI at the time wasn't interested, they were more interested in fixing popular games). Only some open source drivers occasionally use them for testing.

Further Wine is not pro-Nvidia. We use generic opengl extensions for all our functionality. In some cases vendor-specific extensions are used when opengl doesn't offer a functionality we need for d3d9/d3d10 or when a vendor extension offers an additional boost. (The only real case we have for this are the Nvidia shader extensions which we now use to offer shader model 2.0, they are more efficient than GLSL and allow things GLSL doesn't. OpenGL 3.2 is supposed to fix this missing functionality namely the ability to set a pixel shader independent of a vertex shader whereas right now GLSL ties them together which is very inefficient for hl2 and some other games).

Comment

...ATI at the time wasn't interested, they were more interested in fixing popular games...
                    Like that's a bad thing. I would rather them spend their time fixing and optimizing their Linux driver for popular Linux games.

...We have a d3d9 test suite in Wine (we have had it for years) and over the years we have advised to use it ...
                    Is that the same test suite included in PTS?

Comment

Working...
                    X