Building a new opengl window manager

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Building a new opengl window manager

Hi, i have some new ideas for a new opengl window manager. does anyone have any links/code or info about the subject. Ive search google but no joy.

The window manager i wish to create does not have to be compatable with existing linux software.
    Last edited by gafferuk; 04 June 2009, 11:09 AM.

I guess http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/ would be as good a place to start as any, though I'd be lying if I said I wasn't curious what you plan to do with a WM that isn't compatible with existing software....

Comment

failsafewm from http://www.small-window-manager.de/swm-download.html is damn small, should be good example WM code without fluff.

Comment

Originally posted by Wyatt View Post
        though I'd be lying if I said I wasn't curious what you plan to do with a WM that isn't compatible with existing software....
        I wish to create a totally 3D desktop with 3D controls, windows etc. I have ideas with physics. So wouldnt be compatable with any existing software.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
          failsafewm from http://www.small-window-manager.de/swm-download.html is damn small, should be good example WM code without fluff.
          Thanks, am looking at i now, though I am wondering how hard it's going to be to impliment openGL

Comment

There is already a library that does what you seem to want: Describe the desktop in terms of physical objects, rendering with OpenGL, and so on. Unfortunately, I can't remember the name right now, it's used in some other compositing related projects. You should at least check it out before you go and reinvent the wheel, since I'm sure you will be able to implement more of your ideas by teaming up with the other guys.

Comment

Originally posted by nhaehnle View Post
              There is already a library that does what you seem to want: Describe the desktop in terms of physical objects, rendering with OpenGL, and so on. Unfortunately, I can't remember the name right now, it's used in some other compositing related projects. You should at least check it out before you go and reinvent the wheel, since I'm sure you will be able to implement more of your ideas by teaming up with the other guys.
              I believe you mean Mesa? Im using it now. I have window I can draw to.

Comment

I think he means clutter, which iirc is a toolkit much like gtk and qt but opengl-based.

Comment

Thanks Zhick, I was indeed thinking of clutter.

Comment

Clutter looks quite good but is not what im looking for, it's 2D controls in 3D space, i wish to have 3D controls in 3D space.

I don't want to use an existing GUI toolkit, theres no fun in that.
                    im trying to remove as much technologies as possible to create a new clean Window Manager & integrated GUI.

Heres an example screenshot of what im after, its from a past music app i was working on:

Last edited by gafferuk; 06 June 2009, 09:25 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X