Wishlist for Porting Projects (Pt. 2)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by pete910 View Post
    I'd like to see the wimgcomander series also(Have Prophecy still on the CD rack)
    Difficult. EA owns that one. Won't say it's impossible, but we're going to have to get a few more wins under our belt (which is actually looking better than it did when we started this shindig back a while back...)

Sinstar unleased, THQ/Midway
    Hm... That'd be a "maybe".

Not sure if interplay was soaked up by EA but what about MDK/2 ?
    No, Interplay's still in business, believe it or not. They've sort of risen from the ashes a while back and supposedly working on projects again. I don't know if they've got source code for it still lying about, though. If not, we could see if GoG is willing to work with us on an officially supported answer like they've been doing. Anything that would result from that would probably have to be sold through GoG.com.

Is SCI still going? what about the carmageddon series? Ok it's getting on a bit, but it was fun.
    That would be up to the current owners of the IP, Square Enix.

Comment

• Heh... I just had something of a Twilight Zone experience right now...

The company has announced that it will be supporting the alternative OS in a big way this year.

TakeTwo'd taken up supplying Linux stuff in one little bundle through GlobalStar, including some demos for Loki Games' stuff. All of which could be obtained either via download or in the distributions themselves. Weird.

If they're basing their choices for providing Linux product off of the experience of NOT selling this type of stuff to the channel, whooo...

The frustrating part would be the line at the bottom:

Additionally, Take-Two plans on releasing two as-yet-unnamed original games for the Linux platform in 2000.
      THAT never happened as best as I could tell.

Comment

• Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
        Heh... I just had something of a Twilight Zone experience right now...

The company has announced that it will be supporting the alternative OS in a big way this year.

TakeTwo'd taken up supplying Linux stuff in one little bundle through GlobalStar, including some demos for Loki Games' stuff. All of which could be obtained either via download or in the distributions themselves. Weird.

If they're basing their choices for providing Linux product off of the experience of NOT selling this type of stuff to the channel, whooo...

The frustrating part would be the line at the bottom:

THAT never happened as best as I could tell.
        That's a very old article, doubt they even remember now about it, and about linux at all.

Comment

• But on topic, Svartalf, what about some old classic gog-themed games? Has Lords of the Realms been considered? Impression games made them, and they were acquired by vivendi i believe. Dont know if they have the rights to all the LotR games. Or Knights and Merchants, a similar TBS game like LotR.

Comment

IL-2 Sturmovik's nice. Ubisoft's got the publication rights and 1C's still around, I believe. It'll be put on the "maybe" list for now and as I get through the ones in progress, I'll see if we're getting enough traction elswehere to see if we can make a go at that one as well.
            Took me a long time to notice that you responded to my post heheh . Thanks for the response though, I look forward to hearing more news about it. I think IL-2 on linux would be fantastic

1C is definitely still around. Right now they're working on their next WW2 flight sim; I believe it is called Storm of War: Battle of Britain.

Now if only we can convince NaturalPoint to make linux drivers for the TrackIR

Comment

• Originally posted by admax88 View Post
              Took me a long time to notice that you responded to my post heheh . Thanks for the response though, I look forward to hearing more news about it. I think IL-2 on linux would be fantastic

1C is definitely still around. Right now they're working on their next WW2 flight sim; I believe it is called Storm of War: Battle of Britain.

And IL-2 is nowadays sold on gog too. I think at this point it'd be more feasable to just approach them and ask them about a joint-partnership. After all they already got a big catalog of games they can sell, and they constantly approach publishers and developers to add more.

Comment

• Originally posted by xav1r View Post
                And IL-2 is nowadays sold on gog too. I think at this point it'd be more feasable to just approach them and ask them about a joint-partnership. After all they already got a big catalog of games they can sell, and they constantly approach publishers and developers to add more.
                It's on the short-list of things to do over this and next month, actually, along with about three other studios to talk to about deals. Cortex Command's going to be pretty straightforward to get out the door, I think, so I should be able to scoop up another title and with some help maybe two or three of them. At that point I can hit up GoG for a deal to provide certified and supported titles on Linux for their store to sell- in whatever form we can get 'em (keep in mind, not everything has source code at this time; it's a good chance at least 2/3rds of those titles have had the source lost. At that point WINE and DosBox may be our only options on them- but we'll get them as "official" Linux SKUs though...).

Comment

...(keep in mind, not everything has source code at this time; it's a good chance at least 2/3rds of those titles have had the source lost.
                  I can not understand that. How it could be possible? We have the first tapes from movies that have been made almost a century ago but it's so easy for a game's code to be lost? The same happened with Myth2 as well. One of the greatest games that gave been ported to Linux and we are stucked with an ancient version because the source code from Loki is lost, while the code for mac and win is still availiable
                  These all are lost treasures... so sad, so sad...

Comment

• Originally posted by admax88 View Post
                    Either that or find a way to integrate FreeTrack in with something like a Wiimote...

I've tried to get them to engage me and let me make them driver support for it- no joy there for the last couple of years now.

Comment

• Originally posted by Apopas View Post
                      I can not understand that. How it could be possible? We have the first tapes from movies that have been made almost a century ago but it's so easy for a game's code to be lost? The same happened with Myth2 as well. One of the greatest games that gave been ported to Linux and we are stucked with an ancient version because the source code from Loki is lost, while the code for mac and win is still availiable
                      These all are lost treasures... so sad, so sad...
                      I would not say we're "stucked" with the ancient version- it might be only a temporary situation, really.

This link reveals the three cover art pics for Myth, Myth 2, and Myth 3. The gent that owns ElusiveMind is one of the main players making subsequent releases of binaries for all three games. While he's not doing Linux development, he is a professional consultant providing admin services for Linux servers. I think we might be able to whisper in his ear about someone being interested in making Linux versions of those titles happen.

Comment

Working...
                      X