Wishlist for Porting Projects (Pt. 2)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Licaon View Post
    @Svartalf: what about becoming a game dev for a game currently in production? ( or did i miss your thoughts and results on this ? )
    If you're good enough, step up and go looking for them- but they're not going to hand you anything work-wise unless you're a proven. You're going to have had work in this industry or have a decent portfolio of stuff in hand from the indie or personal space to do that.

while porting old games is a good thing(TM), buying them again for Linux is not, as long as i can run them with WINE ( guys/gals don't start the WINE vs. native flame-war please )
    There's not a flame war...only the reality of that route. You can frame it however you like, but what I've said (I won't get into it in deference to your request) still stands.

i feel that having a future game with a Linux version would impact the gaming media/ecosystem/etc better than being always one step behind, where it always looks that 'those crazy Linux/Mac guys are so nostalgic, playing that 7 years old Windows game'
    being there from the start could shape a better future for the engines too, like not using some proprietary non-portable middle-ware and etc
    I've already got one new one, working on a couple of others. It's the indie stuff on the list (and there's a bunch of REALLY good titles on the list that're that...) that you'll have a better chance of making what you're talking to happen.

and a good example happened recently, as ET:QW was developed for Linux almost at the same time, and the release was a bit later, while UT3 had Linux as an afterthought and is still not done
    Actually, it wasn't an afterthought. It just wasn't RELEASED to us. They had the very thing you talk to going on (Ryan typically doesn't do just servers...think about that for a long moment... )- but opted to delay for whatever inscrutable reasons they had. And you could be involved with a AAA title and have it go sideways on you just like it did with Ryan on UT3.

Comment

besides LGP and icculus, what other dev/company can you recommend ?

Comment

besides LGP and icculus, what other dev/company can you recommend ?
        Most of them are in-house (TTimo and iD, for example...) and there's a couple trying their hand in the space (as an example, RobbieAB... ) coupled with some that're trying to strike out a bit on their own (as an example, Myself- I'm not breaking ties with LGP, but there's a bit more to be done with the Indie space than they're in a position to do...).

As to "recommend"...I'm not sure what you're getting at. Are you saying you have a prospect in hand with someone and need devs to carry it out?

Comment

Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
          As to "recommend"...I'm not sure what you're getting at. Are you saying you have a prospect in hand with someone and need devs to carry it out?
          nope, I'm just trying to find out what options there are out there so in case my voice is heard i can point out someone that could do it

Comment

nope, I'm just trying to find out what options there are out there so in case my voice is heard i can point out someone that could do it
            Gotcha.

Comment

Originally posted by wolterh View Post
              Thanks for the welcoming, L33F3R!
              Oh, and by the by, don't take my commentary wrong... You're welcome and keep providing input, but MGS and Atari/Infogrames aren't going to be at all interested in providing the time of day to us.

Comment

But I loved the 3D games! You guyz are just upset becaues they played differently.
                Well, Worms 3D wasn't that good, but Worms 4 is good once you get used to it. I love playing that game with my friends.

Comment

I've noticed there are a few Ubisoft titles on there, so might I add Assassin's Creed and the Prince of Persia games to the request?

Comment

that's a good call. What's Ubisoft's general attitude towards linux? I think its a good idea to make a list of cooperative publishers and nazi ones (obviously MS and infogrames are listed).

Comment

• as for urban warfare which Svartalf has added to the list, here is an email i got back from one of the devs(Jason) for future reference:

Shane,

Unfortunately, I am unable to oblige you in your request, as I do not posses the rights to the source code. Since it was produced as a school project, the school owns the rights to the code and we are not allowed to distribute it.

Sorry, but you'll just have to remake the game on your own.

--Jason
                      cout << "On request from Svartalf" << endl;

Fragfist

L33F3R's obvious description:
                      Fragfist is a game that you cant play as it is a student project . Looks pretty damn cool tho! You run around in car things and go BOOM BOOM to eachother!
                      Web Description:
                      About:
                      Fragfist is a 3D Multiplayer Action-Shooter with vehicles. It's set in a hostile post-apocalyptic urban enviroment.
                      The basic idea behind it is taking the vehicle-parts from common FPS titles, like the Battlefield-series; FarCry; UT2k4 etc, and building a cool game around it.
                      In Fragfist players can choose from at least three different vehicles that can be customized with new Weaponry throughout the game.
                      Gametypes playable are Deathmatch and King of the Hill.
                      The game features at least one map.

Fragfist is being developed by three Art and Animation students of the Games Academy Germany and a Computer Science student of the Technische Universitaet Berlin.
                      School: www.games-academy.de
                      Rendering: Ogre
                      Physics: PhysX
                      Networking: Raknet

Teaser: http://dev.fragfist.com/fragfist_pub...teaser_low.avi

Comment

Working...
                      X