X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Call Of Duty & United Offensive
    Call Of Duty 2

Comment

• i decided to organize the list - its getting kinda hard to find what you're looking for in there.

i have any generality (like a studio or game engine) at the top of each list, while all the games themselves are now in alphabetical order.

note: game titles biggining with an artical (a, the, etc.) are listed under the first letter of the second word - for instance "the longest journey" is under L.

Dead Ends:

Anything from Microsoft Game Studios (There's a DUH moment...)
      Anything from Atari/Infogrames (They've shown us consistent disdain for a while now...if I see contrary evidence...)
      Anything, from out of Remedy Entertainment because of close ties with Microsoft...
      Anything using the Lithtech engine
      Any of the Valve stuff's up in the air- someone may well be doing all of Orange Box and Steam...
      ANY of the 21st Century Entertainment titles

America's Army (We HAD a version of this guys, but the DoD decided it was not a big enough payoff...)
      ARMA
      Bussimulator
      Call of Cthulu: Dark Corners of the Earth
      Call of Duty 4
      Dawn Of War and expansions
      Diablo
      Diablo II
      Diablo III (Gimme a break, guys... This isn't a pie in the sky list...)
      Dragon Age (If there is going to be a version, it'll be up to EA and Bioware...)
      Dreamfall- The Longest Journey
      GTA – all of them
      Harpoon III (Initial Contacts made, looked promising...then it fizzled for no apparent reasons...)
      Interstate 76
      Jedi Academy
      Jedi Knights II
      KotOR
      KotOR 2 (Not that anyone would WANT that title... )
      Lemmings – all versions
      The Longest Journey
      Masters of Orion 1 or 2
      Max Payne
      Morrowind (Prime AAA title- not without loads of cash... )
      Neverwinter Nights 2 (Atari published property- need I say more?)
      No One Lives Forever
      Oblivion (Prime AAA title- not without loads of cash... )
      Portal
      Psychonauts (After finding out what Majesco did to at least one studio, we don't want to deal with them...ever...sorry...)
      Rise of the Triad (Ryan already beat us to it...go over to icculus.org if you've got the assets. )
      SimCity (Already GPLed and out under the name "Metropolis" in all of it's ancient glory..)
      Slamtilt
      ST:Armada
      ST:Elite Force
      ST:Elite Force II
      STALKER
      StarCraft
      StarCraft II
      Stargunner
      Syndicate I
      Syndicate II
      Syndicate Wars
      System Shock (Studio defunct- no clear title to code known, nor do we know if it's available at all...)
      System Shock II (Ditto...)
      Tom Clancy series
      Unreal Tournament 3 (Uh, supposedly Epic's still working on this...)
      Wing Commander (EA property...code's likely to not be available at this point with Origin effectively defunct...)

Maybes:

Anything that was ported by the former Loki Games (It's been tried by LGP in the past when they were starting...)

Age of Wonders
      Battlefield: Vietnam, 2 and Battlefield Heroes
      Battlerealms
      CivIV (Moved to the "maybe" list because there's no clear title to what we have in hand...checking into it, but for right now, don't hold your breath...)
      Colin MacRae Dirt
      Crysis (Initial contact made...we'll see...)
      Deus EX (Hinges on finding someone with the old Loki codebase that'll be able to grant publication rights)
      Deus EX 2
      Soldier of Fortune II
      Falcon 4 (Initial contact made...no word back from them...)
      FlatOut 2
      Gothic 3
      IL-2 Sturmovik
      Project Offset
      Grand Prix Legends
      GTR2 (10tacle in recievership- need to find out who is studio, etc...)
      Merchants of Brooklyn (It's a Crytek 2 engine game...makes it a "maybe" at best...)
      Need for Speed titles.
      Powerslave
      Puzzle Quest
      Rome: Total War
      Sam and Max Episodes
      Secret Files: Tunguska and Puritas Cordis
      Sensible Soccer 2006
      Tale Worlds (Some DRM concerns there...)
      Witchaven I
      Witchaven II
      Witcher (Since Namco's now the publisher for anything CDProjekt does, it's a longshot maybe...)

Being Looked Into:

PopCap's game framework and PopCap's games themselves.

Achron
      Alpha Centauri
      Aquaria
      Audiosurf
      Beyond Good and Evil
      Book of Unwritten Tales
      Braid
      Chessmaster 11
      CivIII
      Civilization IV
      Descent 3 (Someone's got access to the code and we just need to talk to Interplay and GoG...)
      Drakensang
      Earth 2150
      Enemy Engaged: Comanche vs. Hokum (EECH - Source code being looked at...)
      Escape Velocity Series
      Fallout
      Fallout 2
      Freespace
      Freespace 2 (We've got code- need to get rights for assets for commercial release if possible...)
      Grotesque
      Hinterland
      Hostile Waters: Anteus Rising
      HoverRace (Clean up initial port...)
      Industry Giant II
      Kingpin
      Kivi's Underworld
      The Maw
      Mechanarium
      Natural Selection 2
      The Path
      Project Aftermath
      Raptor
      Redneck Rampage Series
      rFactor
      Sins of a Solar Empire
      Soldat
      A Vampyre Story
      Track Mania
      Urban Warfare Online
      And Yet It Moves

Comment

• Counter-Strike 1.6
        Counter-Strike Source
        Team Fortress 2
        and other games by Valve

and then (by Blizzard)
        World Of Warcraft
        WarCraft III: The Frozen Throne
        Starcraft I
        Starcraft II (after release - end of 2009 or start 2010)
        Last edited by rryk; 06 July 2009, 02:37 AM.

Comment

• valve and blizzard games are a bad luck at best.

Welcome to phoronix BTW

Comment

• I'd so love to see Braid ported to GNU / Linux. It's such a fantastic game!

Comment

• yo Svartalf have you considered non PC titles? I am talking about console titles. It would take a boatload of work making it run on a PC but in many cases you dont get expensive middleware. I am of coarse talking about older titles. These would do very well under mobile platforms. Not to be included but for example the older sonic games would be an instant hit. Cant imagine redoing all of the sound, input ect.

Just 2 cents.

EDIT:::

Sonic CD (which was arguably the best sonic game) was ported to the mac. SEGA is obviously a pushover company :P.
              Last edited by L33F3R; 06 July 2009, 09:23 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by L33F3R View Post
                yo Svartalf have you considered non PC titles?
                Yes, I have.

I am talking about console titles. It would take a boatload of work making it run on a PC but in many cases you dont get expensive middleware. I am of coarse talking about older titles. These would do very well under mobile platforms. Not to be included but for example the older sonic games would be an instant hit. Cant imagine redoing all of the sound, input ect.
                The biggest drawback is going to be that many of the publishers are going to want big bucks on royalties for the rights to the title.

Of course, that changes a bit over time and if we could get someone with their foot in the door (Someone like one of the senior devs over at Bizarre Games for example...he's porting stuff over from Dreamcast to Pandora/Linux and he's just working towards getting permissions to publish/release the same...) it would work out decently.

Last time anyone looked into that sort of thing they weren't open to much of anything. But that was a couple of years back. I'll check into it here shortly.

Sonic CD (which was arguably the best sonic game) was ported to the mac. SEGA is obviously a pushover company :P.
                I believe they ported it themselves to MacOS. I know they also ported it to the PC at one point under their own brand. We'd have to have a bit better visibility market-segment wise for that sort of thing to happen.
                Last edited by Svartalf; 07 July 2009, 06:20 PM.

Comment

• 'll mention Kingpin again since it's not on the list.

Comment

• Hi. Here's IMO a good tip:

- Knights of Honor (developed by Black Sea Studios, now Crytek Black Sea)

Just looking through their forums some of the staff takes active part in the community (like someone named Frujin). Considering their somewhat positive response to open sourcing the game it seems like a linux port could be an even likelier possibility:

http://forums.blackseastudios.com/sh...7&postcount=84

It's a great game and should really be worth the effort. What do you guys think?

Comment

• Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
                      Yes, I have.

The biggest drawback is going to be that many of the publishers are going to want big bucks on royalties for the rights to the title.

Of course, that changes a bit over time and if we could get someone with their foot in the door (Someone like one of the senior devs over at Bizarre Games for example...he's porting stuff over from Dreamcast to Pandora/Linux and he's just working towards getting permissions to publish/release the same...) it would work out decently.

Last time anyone looked into that sort of thing they weren't open to much of anything. But that was a couple of years back. I'll check into it here shortly.

I believe they ported it themselves to MacOS. I know they also ported it to the PC at one point under their own brand. We'd have to have a bit better visibility market-segment wise for that sort of thing to happen.
                      Speaking of consoles, one time I talked with Erza Dreichbach, the guy who worked on the Sega Saturn version of a game called Powerslave, and he said he was 100% ok with others porting that game commercially to linux, no questions asked. He did mention he only spoke for himself, but he was the lead developer of that game's engine.

Comment

Working...
                      X