Wishlist for Porting Projects (Pt. 2)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Drakensang on linux would be great.
    And what about Assasins Creed? It's a good game, if a tad repetitive. Published by Ubisoft so probably not a hot prospect
    Last edited by Raven3x7; 30 May 2009, 03:10 PM.

Comment

Braid would be great
      What about Sega Rally "Revo" or Virtua Tennis 3/2009?

Comment

Originally posted by gilboa View Post
        * Ubisoft's Ghost recon series. (Older games should be relatively cheap to gain access to; Some of them were ported to MAC, so the code-base should be there...)
        * Ubisoft's Rainbow Six series. (Same as above).
        * Ubisoft's FarCry. (1 should be cheaper, shouldn't it?)
        You will be surprised at what they think they can gouge for on older titles as they're part of the franchise and if you muck up a release for the platform you're doing it can 'harm' the other franchise titles. They're going to charge only about 1/3rd what they'd charge for the latest stuff just to make it painful if you boggle on them and to keep the low pikers that they'd not normally want out of the game.

Seriously.

... Oh, X3:TC is not in the list. Intended?
        Yes. No conflict-of-interest items with LGP. Sorry.

(Not directed at you...)
        Having said that, if you're interested in seeing things like that, you need to be honest with yourselves and buy the titles in question, including the X3 title already published. Doesn't matter if you've bought it for Windows in a past life. It's a differing SKU. The industry isn't formed with what anyone calls "common sense". The fact that iD still seems to produce it for Windows with an unofficial "patch" is unusual. Epic seems to have quit that practice and BioWare hasn't done any more than NWN that way- more because of publisher interference than anything else that I can tell. You buy the game for the platform you want to run on it.

If you want Linux games, you have to BUY them. Otherwise we have to be visibly larger than the Mac userbase in a way that's shown in IDC type figures- which won't happen for a long time yet to come because they measure userbase in "units sold" instead of what is actively being used. MS' figures are dead wrong- you can take about 10% of the market MS claims to have and apply it to the Linux/*BSD side of things because they claim 'shipped' and for every non DIY Linux machine, there's a concomitant Windows install claimed in those figures that's just not accurate anymore. Buying Linux games gives the publishers and studios numbers that they can show to the big boys to get better deals.

Comment

Originally posted by rafi View Post
          Braid would be great
          What about Sega Rally "Revo" or Virtua Tennis 3/2009?
          Heh... There's four little letters associated with those titles that would make the price for either a deep 5-figure deal for rights access. I'll try to remember to add them to the "maybe" list this evening or tomorrow.

Comment

Originally posted by Raven3x7 View Post
            Drakensang on linux would be great.
            And what about Assasins Creed? It's a good game, if a tad repetitive. Published by Ubisoft so probably not a hot prospect
            YEAH! If any of them ever comes to Linux it will be the first time I'll preorder a game

Comment

Freespace 2 (We've got code- need to get rights for assets for commercial release if possible...)
              i don't see the point, unless you would like to redistribute the data files.

there is already a pretty mature linux fs2 project underway ( on http://scp.indiegames.us/ ), so that might be a duplicate effort.

PopCap's game framework and PopCap's games themselves.
              that would be a major win. especially a port of bejewelled 2.

Audiosurf
              now this would be awesome. anyone who has seen this game in action would probably agree.

deus ex really deserves a new port. i'd vote for it.

how are things looking with studios that don't exist anymore? i'm thinking of classics made by bullfrog (dungeon keeper, theme hospital, theme park) or muckyfoot (startopia)
              Last edited by yoshi314; 30 May 2009, 03:49 PM.

Comment

A lot of good games being mentioned. Most of my favorites fall in the "Maybe" and "Being Looked Into" columns .

I don't know what is the current status for the old Infinity Engine games; some were Black Isle which is dead (Interplay I think kept the rights), and others Bioware (they are EA know no?). It would be awesome to have Torment, Baldur's Gate Saga, and Icewind Dale Linux ports (we desperately need RPGs in Linux anyway). Most of these titles work on WINE, so I wouldn't be totally bumbed out if they ended up in the "Dead End" column of suggestions.

Rome: Total War has been mentioned (still keeping my fingers crossed for that). So how about the others in the series? Medieval 2 or Shogun would be awesome.

The first two Thief games would have been great too, but I can see them in the "Dead Ends" list now. Drakensang I didn't particularly like, but it's a competent single player RPG and God knows we need more of those in Linux. The Freespace games would be cool; even with fs2open out there, you still need the actual game (fs2open is more of a mod for the original game anyway). Oh, and another 50 votes for Deus Ex .

Comment

I don't mean to repeat this game if it is already in the list--a fact that I ignore. Nevertheless, if it is already in the list, then its use is to let you know that a lot of people would like this.

Port Age of Empires II: The Conquerors Expansion (And obviously the non-expansion version, I guess)

It was already done for the apple computers by the Bold company.

Keep up the good work!

Comment

Originally posted by wolterh View Post
                    I don't mean to repeat this game if it is already in the list--a fact that I ignore. Nevertheless, if it is already in the list, then its use is to let you know that a lot of people would like this.

Port Age of Empires II: The Conquerors Expansion (And obviously the non-expansion version, I guess)

It was already done for the apple computers by the Bold company.

Keep up the good work!
                    Love both of these. i can see the potential on netbooks because of the low system requirements.

*ughh i juz remembered the big Microsoft logo that shows up.

And welcome to phoronix wolterh
                    Last edited by L33F3R; 30 May 2009, 06:12 PM. Reason: microshaft

Comment

Originally posted by L33F3R View Post
                      Love both of these. i can see the potential on netbooks because of the low system requirements.

*ughh i juz remembered the big Microsoft logo that shows up.

And welcome to phoronix wolterh
                      See people? I have a fine taste. You should follow my suggestions XD

Thanks for the welcoming, L33F3R!

Comment

Working...
                      X