X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Titan Quest

Titan Quest, and Titan Quest Immortal Throne

Please!

The THQ lead engine programmer has already stated "Actually Titan Quest started its life as an OpenGL game and we later converted to Direct3D. I don't think it would be too hard to port back to OpenGL (and the game doesn't utilize .NET, only the Quest Editor), but the reality is that THQ probably doesn't have a whole lot of financial incentive to release the Linux version." (http://www.titanquest.net/forums/que...x-version.html), so maybe this would be a great low-hanging fruit?

I would actually buy at least 3 copies of the Linux version (1 for my system, 1 for wifes, 1 for oldest sons), so that's something at least.

-James

Comment

• what about sacred 2, the first one was ported so the company might be open to allowing a port of the second one.

Also what about guild wars and perhaps guild wars 2 when its nearer the time by ncsoft if i remember.

Comment

• Originally posted by djack View Post
        Darwinia definately has a native version, available to buy from Introversion themselves. (As does their other great games - Uplink and Defcon). I'm not certain about Multiwinia though.
        Woah, totally missed that. I knew about Uplink and Defcon, but I'm subject to fits of selective blindness. Thanks!

Comment

• Originally posted by Melcar View Post
          It has already been explained that what those guys are doing is not totally legal. You have to either already own the game or pirate it.
          Okay - just found that in the mound of replies. That said, I do own both Freespace and Freespace 2 - bought especially when the Freespace port became viable on Linux. Given the newer space games available for Linux (X2, X3, Vendetta) and the Freespace 1/2 ports, I don't see the financial success of a commercially bundled Freespace release. The best I could see in this area is to compile up the FS2 port, stick it on a CD with an installer and allow a purchase of the Windows original for the data files.

By the way, does anyone have any ideas on recovering data from unreadable CDs. My original Descent/Descent2 CDs no longer mount...

Comment

• Originally posted by Nexus6 View Post
            The best I could see in this area is to compile up the FS2 port, stick it on a CD with an installer and allow a purchase of the Windows original for the data files.
            I think that's sort of the idea. Make it legal to distribute the assets by selling them. At least that's what I thought....

Comment

• Originally posted by Olly View Post
              what about sacred 2, the first one was ported so the company might be open to allowing a port of the second one.

Also what about guild wars and perhaps guild wars 2 when its nearer the time by ncsoft if i remember.
              sacred 2 would be a conflict of interest, svartalf works for LGP (who ported sacred gold) but is doing this effort independently - so if that one is going to be done, it'll more then likely have to be LGP that does it.

and that will probably depend on how sacred gold sells for linux.

Comment

what about sacred 2, the first one was ported so the company might be open to allowing a port of the second one.
                The deal with Ascaron would have to be with my OTHER gig, LGP (Note the tag on my handle...while I'm involved with some of their workings, I'm not the guy making the porting deals... )- as such, in order for me to be in a position to arrange a port of Sacred 2, I would have to go behind Michael Simms' back on that one. Not gonna happen.

Now...having said this, if you want an even chance at Sacred 2, I would suggest that you buy the current Sacred Gold, if you've not already done so and get any of your Linux using friends that might be interested in that genre to do the same. I can state up-front, without getting in trouble, that any prospects of a deal on the sequel will be provisional upon the first one doing decently enough in sales.

No, I don't see a dime from the sales on that title. But, like most people that ask for Sacred 2, I want the sequel to be something I can play on my Linux box, not my PS3...

It's a subject of possible discussion... Unfortunately, it'll be added to the "maybe" list- AAA MMO's are going to be a tough sell unless the publisher's already friendly with us (and we'd have something resembling support like we do with the ones we do have... )

Maybe if we get a few more projects under my and other people's belts with this little endeavor we can make those less long-shots and more possibles...

Comment

• Originally posted by curaga View Post
                  I meant Myst Online, not the single player series. While it may use QT, it's also getting open-sourced soon; so there's almost guaranteed to be a linux port one day. It's the magic of dropping source out, seems like we linux guys like to have games on our systems

The issue would be the assets, and maybe running some servers. Also if a port, preferably an OSS one, was done by a professional, it would likely appear a lot sooner.
                  I want to see the source show up before adding it to the list proper. If so, it'd be one of the items up towards the top- for the reasons you state. Assets are as important as the game code. Without rights to them, you don't have anything.

Comment

• Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
                    The deal with Ascaron would have to be with my OTHER gig, LGP (Note the tag on my handle...while I'm involved with some of their workings, I'm not the guy making the porting deals... )- as such, in order for me to be in a position to arrange a port of Sacred 2, I would have to go behind Michael Simms' back on that one. Not gonna happen.

Now...having said this, if you want an even chance at Sacred 2, I would suggest that you buy the current Sacred Gold, if you've not already done so and get any of your Linux using friends that might be interested in that genre to do the same. I can state up-front, without getting in trouble, that any prospects of a deal on the sequel will be provisional upon the first one doing decently enough in sales.

No, I don't see a dime from the sales on that title. But, like most people that ask for Sacred 2, I want the sequel to be something I can play on my Linux box, not my PS3...
                    I actually bought to copies one for my girlfriend and one for me, its a great game but a bit dated so sacred 2 which is brand new would be great, and surely sell better, i tend to be put of buy a lot of linux games mainly because of there age, but still buy a few.

Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
                    It's a subject of possible discussion... Unfortunately, it'll be added to the "maybe" list- AAA MMO's are going to be a tough sell unless the publisher's already friendly with us (and we'd have something resembling support like we do with the ones we do have... )

Maybe if we get a few more projects under my and other people's belts with this little endeavour we can make those less long-shots and more possibles...
                    I can understand this although i think there are already quite a lot of linux player / users only because i come across them quite often in game, and i know there are some linux specific guild, the game work really well with wine however its a shame because to ncsoft we would all show up as windows users.

shame there not a way of reporting back to the games company that your using wine to play there game that way they would get some stats on how many player are not using windows, they would also be able to say if we get 10,000 people using wine we will make a native port or somethng along those lines.

Comment

shame there not a way of reporting back to the games company that your using wine to play there game that way they would get some stats on how many player are not using windows, they would also be able to say if we get 10,000 people using wine we will make a native port or somethng along those lines.
                      Not really. 10,000 using Wine is 10,000 customers that they don't have to do anything else for. The people willing to use Wine to play the game are not going to go out and buy another copy just for a Linux port, and the poeple who won't/can't use Wine are an unknown minority (as far as their sales figures are concerned).

Comment

Working...
                      X