Wishlist for Porting Projects (Pt. 2)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by DavidNielsen View Post
    Demigod looks very nice, perhaps that could be a target for porting?
    First Stardock's Impulse has to be ported (it's their Steam-like app).

Comment

• Some ideas:

Title - Developer / Publisher
      --------------------------------------------
      Painkiller - People Can Fly / Dreamcatcher
      Bioshock - 2K Games / 2K Games
      Far Cry - Crytek / Ubisoft
      Baldur's Gate Series- Bioware / Interplay
      Icewind Dale Series - Black Isle / Interplay
      Planescape: Torment - Black Isle / Interplay
      Grim Fandango - LucasArts / LucasArts
      Homeworld Series - Relic Entertainment / THQ Games
      Company of Heroes - Relic Entertainment / THQ Games
      Dawn of War Series - Relic Entertainment / THQ Games
      Galactic Civilizations Series - Stardock / Paradox, Strategy First, Stardock
      Space Empires Series - Malfador / Strategy First
      FEAR Series - Monolith / Vivendi, Warner Bros.
      Thief Series - Looking Glass, Ion Storm, Eidos / Eidos
      Fallout 1 & 2 - Black Isle / Interplay
      Aliens vs Predator Series - Rebellion, Monolith / Fox, Sierra
      Operation Flashpoint, ArmA Series - Bohemia Interactive / Codemasters
      Hearts of Iron Series - Paradox / Strategy First
      Crusader Kings - Paradox / Strategy First
      Syberia Series - Micriods / Micriods

Any and all available Loki assets- A lot of it is either extremely hard to find and/or difficult to work with on modern systems.

I know it's been mentioned a million times, but I really wish Steam had a native Linux client. Of course they'd need per-platform support in their store and all that, but I think it'd end up helping get other things ported. Steam has a ton of games available on it and some do already have Linux clients. They just aren't available via Steam, of course.

A lot of people just using Steam for everything nowadays. It's easier to login to one thing and have access to all your games, rather than a billion CDs, CD keys, patches, etc. I was against this for the longest time, but I have come around... Having even a small Linux library on Steam would be awesome. They have almost 700 games on Steam. I didn't count, but I don't think it'd be completely crazy to say at least 50 have native Linux clients already (there are nearly that many idsoftware and idsoftware-related games alone with Linux ports). And what if someone were to update all the Loki assets and put them on "Linux-Steam" for one packaged price? It'd be awesome.

The problem is Steam isn't normal software. It is an ever-changing beast. They would really need full time, in-house developers dedicated to Linux to make it work. They can't just contract someone to port it once and be done with it.

Comment

• 1. Space Trader >> http://www.playspacetrader.com/

They had Linux port but abandon it after relasing boxed versions for Win and Mac. GPLed Source code is avilable on their page.

2. Iron Grip: Warlord >> http://igwarlord.isotx.com/

They mention linux in their forums but dont have developer to port it.

Both titles are idTech3.

Comment

• I'm surprised to see Freespace (1 + 2) on this list because I've been playing it for years. A viable Linux port has been available via http://scp.indiegames.us/ and plays very nicely. Unless we are talking about something other than Descent: Freespace 2.

Comment

• Originally posted by Nexus6 View Post
            I'm surprised to see Freespace (1 + 2) on this list because I've been playing it for years. A viable Linux port has been available via http://scp.indiegames.us/ and plays very nicely. Unless we are talking about something other than Descent: Freespace 2.

It has already been explained that what those guys are doing is not totally legal. You have to either already own the game or pirate it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Slash View Post
              Any and all available Loki assets- A lot of it is either extremely hard to find and/or difficult to work with on modern systems.
              That's true and it's a pity coz they are great games.
              Also, there is a project http://projectmagma.net/ now which continues to work on Myth series and especially on Myth2 which is one of the best RTS ever imo and they do great job. Updated graphics, made the game to run in new platforms and create new modules and even new units. The community is still very active. Just yesterday they released a newer beta version. But all these just for windows and macosx, while there is a Linux port of this great game
              The reason is that they don't have the source code of the Linux port, they say it has been lost. How is this possible?
              Last edited by Apopas; 01 June 2009, 11:16 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Nexus6 View Post
                I'm surprised to see Freespace (1 + 2) on this list because I've been playing it for years. A viable Linux port has been available via http://scp.indiegames.us/ and plays very nicely. Unless we are talking about something other than Descent: Freespace 2.
                1) The viable port requires you have legit assets- the only thing legit is the engine right at the moment.
                2) The SCP is at distributing NON-legit assets.
                3) Those non-legit assets are better than the originals in many ways.
                4) It would be nice to see legit assets tied together with the SCP
                stuff being sold via GoG for the same price as the stock originals.

Comment

• Originally posted by Melcar View Post
                  It has already been explained that what those guys are doing is not totally legal. You have to either already own the game or pirate it.
                  How do get the idea that it's not totally legal? Does that mean ioquake3 is not totally legal as well? What about the crapload of Duke3D engines?
                  Last edited by deanjo; 01 June 2009, 12:11 PM.

Comment

• Myst Online guys say they're releasing the win source "soon". As the assets aren't released, maybe it would be a good port target.

Comment

• Originally posted by deanjo View Post
                      How do get the idea that it's not totally legal? Does that mean ioquake3 is not totally legal as well? What about the crapload of Duke3D engines?

Read Svartalf's replies on the subject. I'm just repeating what he already wrote. Even if you don't think so, at the end you either need to already have the original game or pirate it in order to use fs2open (and getting the full game from them is still pirating). Make a fully legit Linux port of the game available so people can properly make use of the mods, or better yet (if possible), make the original game available along with the improvments; his way the game won't simply be a staraight port of the old game and make it a little more worthwile.
                      Last edited by Melcar; 01 June 2009, 01:44 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X