PSU Form Factor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PSU Form Factor

Hello again, hardware n00b reporting in!

I have a 5-year-old Gateway 614GE desktop PC, and I'm coming to the point where I really need to swap out most of is guts for newer tech. I mean new uATX motherboard, new AMD Athlon 64 X2, new HT Omega Striker audio, and new DDR2 memory modules (I already own a new RadeonHD 3650). I did some quick calculations, and I fairly certain that all this new hardware is going to tax my 300W PSU pretty hard. 400W-500W will be plenty.

Now, my Gateway PC is designed to use the uATX-PS3 type PSU instead of the more common uATX-SFX type.

uATX-PS3 unit: 5.75 inches (W) x 4.0 inches (D) x 3.25 inches (H)
    uATX-SFX unit: 5.0 inches (W) x 4.75 inches (D) x 2.5 inches (H)

What I want to know is this: Is the uATX-PS3 form-factor just a shortened version of the full ATX form-factor PSU? If the full ATX type PSU is, say, 5.75 x 6.0 x 3.25 inches, I could probably fit one inside my computer case.

Does anybody know the dimensions of a full ATX PSU? I want one because none of the uATX power supplies are 80+ Energy Certified, nor do any have modular cabling. At least, not at Newegg. D'oh!

ATX and mATX power supplies only differ in size, as long as it fits in the case you can mix and match.

Comment

My computer case has a "shelf" that the PSU sits in. If my new PSU is too wide or too tall, it will not fit. That "shelf" is 6.0 inches wide by 3.5 inches tall.

This is why I'm asking for the dimensions of a full ATX PSU. Surely someone can whip out a ruler or measuring tape and measure the "face" of their ATX power supply....? You don't even need to open your case to do that.

Comment

150mm wide * 85mm high * 140mm long.

In other words, the same size as two CD drives.

Comment

Could it Be!?

Hmmm........ let's see here............

150 mm / 25.4 = 5.90 inches
          85 mm / 25.4 = 3.35 inches
          140 mm / 25.4 = 5.51 inches

IT FITS !!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

I am using a Tagan BZ 800-watt, ATX12V / EPS12V, PipeRock type modular cables, 6.29x5.90x3.34 in

Comment

Working...
            X