Slow xorg start with fglrx - 8 seconds to launch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slow xorg start with fglrx - 8 seconds to launch

I am currently rebulding my media center, and in doing that i'm trying to streamline everything as much as i can.

I have gotten my ubuntu down to a 4second boot time to terminal. Which, considering this isn't SSD, i'm fairly content with.*

But when i add Xorg(no, not gdm, i've really stripped this machine down to the bare esentials) to the init script, suddenly my boot time jumps to 12 seconds.

That is, kernel and all init sans X is 4 seconds.

Xorg to an xterm(just that) is 8 seconds.

NOTE: once xorg has been launched, opengl, etc, works fine.

Have anyone else encountered this problem? anyone have a solution?

With the opensource radeon driver i have an xterm in 1.8seconds, so it doesn't appear to be a general Xorg problem, but rather a catalyst problem.

Another minor issue that i have, and have seen around the net. The xorg.log file is filled with the following warning:

(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual <hex>

I've tried setting it to off(since i don't need it), but the message is still there. Anyone have a solution.

AAAAnnndd.. the last minor issue(which i suspect is related to the first).. Whenever i run xrandr Xorg spikes to 100% for about one second, and i get a

(II) Quirked EDID physical size to 0x0 cm

line in my xorg.log.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Ok, i disabled xrandr in the fglrx driver, cut it down to about 4 seconds...

Still 2-3 times as long as the radeon driver. But still a lot better.

Comment

Yes, I can confirm this problem with my gentoo machine. In fact, the log shows that xserver restarts once before it successfully starts. It was all good before (as fast as the raedon driver). I still don't know where is the problem. This is what I have for up to fglrx 9.4. In 9.5, xserver just keeps restarting and gdm has to termiinate the x server. The annoying thing is that there isn't any error in the x log even in dmesg unless we use 2.6.29, but those messages are unrelated.

Comment

I don't have any issues with xserver restarting. At least not that i have noticed.

I'll take a look tomorrow to see if that does indeed happen.

But it is nice with confirmation, thanks.

Comment

Working...
        X