No announcement yet.

ATI Overclocking Utility

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For me, hitting "Defaults" clocks back to whatever overclock I applied previously. Say my current GPU clocks are 625 (default) and I overclock to 690, if I hit "Defaults" before I hit "Apply" it goes back to 625; however, if I hit "Apply" and set the 690 overclock, the "Defaults" key greys out. Now if I change the frequency again (say to 650) and hit "Defaults", it goes to 690 instead of the true default value of 625.
    The default key shouldn't grey out, the apply key should though. I didn't have this happening on my computer but after looking at the code it should have happened Well I made B3 version which should fix this problem, thanks.

Works on my dual card setup (although it only controls the first card)
    Yes didn't have a way to try it when testing so I was not sure how it would behave. Will try and modify the gui later to show multiple card setup and then someone with multiple gpu can give it a spin

you might want to use http://omploader.org/ in the future. At least it works with konqueror and does not alter files.
    Using it now, thanks.

A feature I wouldn't mind seeing is cli profile selection, useful for gamers.

I knocked up a quick icon for use with Cairo-dock, not sure on the legality of it though.

http://bamnclan.com/base/ati_oc_logo...ansparancy.png
    Will try and integrate the icon for the system tray. Someone @ati might want to comment on legality, otherwise we can remove the I As for the cli profile selection that would be nice, with the unfortunately few games for linux I can probably hard code each game's profile...

Comment

Cool piece of software! Congrats!

Is is possible to increase the frequency range? I'd like to underclock my memory like I do in Windows (running my 4870 @ 500/300 @ 1.083V).

Thanks!

PS: Will you opensource it?

Comment

On my 3200HD i get : Error reading fan speed valueError getting overdrive performance levels, error:-8 . This card isnt supported?

Comment

I think the chip has to be compatible with Overdrive for it to work; not all chips are supported.

Edit:
          The "Default" key works fine for the GPU frequency, but it doesn't seem to work for the memory frequency. The GUI correctly shows the changes, but if I check the clocks with Overdrive or PTS I get the wrong clocks (the previous OC instead of the actual defaults).
          Last edited by Melcar; 28 May 2009, 12:25 PM.

Comment

Is is possible to increase the frequency range? I'd like to underclock my memory like I do in Windows (running my 4870 @ 500/300 @ 1.083V).
            Just tried it and made a new version so you can underclock. Note that it is also possible to change the idle settings but didn't see any reason to do that. The API for my card report that I can underclock even lower then my 160/250 idle speed setting. At this time the limit of underclock is your idle speed even it is possible to go lower, not sure if there are any demand for that could change it later...

PS: Will you opensource it?
            I was thinking to once the problems are worked out and it's cleaned up.

On my 3200HD i get : Error reading fan speed valueError getting overdrive performance levels, error:-8 . This card isnt supported?
            Unfortunately -8 means unsupported, waiting to talk with some ati dev to get the scoop on what is implemented now, what will be implemented in the future, etc... Does the rest of the app work it crash? I would expect the rest to work at least let me know if it doesn't.

The "Default" key works fine for the GPU frequency, but it doesn't seem to work for the memory frequency. The GUI correctly shows the changes, but if I check the clocks with Overdrive or PTS I get the wrong clocks (the previous OC instead of the actual defaults).
            Will have a look at that, still doesn't do it on my machine but will check the code see if I can spot something, if you could also verify that the GPU frequency works but not the memory clock.

Comment

Tried the new revision and frequency changes work for both GPU and memory; "Defaults" has the correct behavior for both now.
              About the tray icon. If I close the GUI from the window decoration, the icon notification remains in the tray (correct behavior I assume); but if I close the GUI by way of the "OK" button the notification icon disappears (but the process remains active).

Comment

Originally posted by sabby View Post
                Just tried it and made a new version so you can underclock. Note that it is also possible to change the idle settings but didn't see any reason to do that. The API for my card report that I can underclock even lower then my 160/250 idle speed setting. At this time the limit of underclock is your idle speed even it is possible to go lower, not sure if there are any demand for that could change it later...

I was thinking to once the problems are worked out and it's cleaned up.
                Nice, I'll test it when you make it available.

According to GPU-Z in Windows, running at 500/300 1.086V versus 500/900 1.263V gives an impressive reduction in power consumption.

VCC Current goes from about 25A to 9.5A. Hopefully it won't harm the hardware (don't know if there might be some spikes due to running on such a "low" current), but it's definitelly cooler, silent and green .

EDIT: most of the power consumption savings is due to lowering the memory from 900MHz to 300MHz. Core speed and voltage doesn't matter much at idle. In Windows I also undervolt my 3D settings... Running slightly overclocked at 770/763 @ 1.203V or something like this (one notch lower that the default 1.263V).

Most of us idle most of the time, so why not save some energy?

Thanks.

Even though I'm not an C expert I'll take a look on your source code if you make it available, just out of curiosity .

I'm a Java developer but I also play around with microcontrollers using AVR-GCC.
                Last edited by Nicolas; 28 May 2009, 07:37 PM.

Comment

Taking advantage of the situation :

It should be possible to get all the monitoring values we get in GPU-Z (Windows) right?

I mean: my 4870 has several temperature sensors (inside core, on the VRMs), and a current sensor.

Not all models have these, so that's probably why you added those more useful ones.

Maybe the API allows you to verify if the feature is available or not and then you can add it on the monitoring tab?

This is definitelly not critical (I'd rather be able to set my card to 500/300 first), but it should be interesting to compare power consumption in Windows vs Linux, and the current sensor is definitelly a good parameter to go by.

Comment

About the tray icon. If I close the GUI from the window decoration, the icon notification remains in the tray (correct behavior I assume); but if I close the GUI by way of the "OK" button the notification icon disappears (but the process remains active).
                    Implemented too quickly, will fix that in the next one.

Nice, I'll test it when you make it available.
                    All the versions are on the first post it was available 7 minutes after my last post, I guest you were too quick, next time will post new version first, comments after

I mean: my 4870 has several temperature sensors (inside core, on the VRMs), and a current sensor.
                    The API seem to be able to retrieve only one temperature, will look a bit further. Once I get in touch with an ati dev, or if someone peruse this thread, I will ask them those questions. Of course, it should be possible to get it via i2c but the reason I used the API in the first place was because I was too lazy to read the 700 pages of spec to find the information I needed

Comment

-Catalyst 9.5
                      -HA3650 mobility
                      -Stack trace
                      -QT 4.5
                      -Arch

Code:
                      $ ./atioc_x86_64
                      Error reading fan speed valueError getting overdrive performance levels, error:-8
                      Error reading fan speed infoError reading fan speed valueError reading fan speed valueError reading fan speed valueError reading fan speed valueError reading fan speed valueError reading fan speed valueError reading fan speed valueError reading fan speed valueError reading fan speed valueError reading fan speed valueError reading fan speed valueError reading fan speed valueError reading fan speed valueError reading fan speed valueError reading fan speed
                      Backtrace:
                      Couldn't get a sane backtrace. It didn't crash :-)

It doesn't recognize my clock etc it seems:

Comment

Working...
                      X