Ryan Gordon On Linux UT3: "still on its way"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Yfrwlf View Post
    I mean geez, open graphics drivers + open engine = all kinds of awesome things. If you could tinker with really impressive graphics easily, imagine all the artists you could draw in to your projects who'd actually have something to do finally. Right now artists can't do much really neat detailed stuff because there really isn't anything out there yet that challenges high-end closed source games very much. Once we get open source Oblivion, that's when things will start getting really crazy.
    Give that man a cigar... he gets the point

Comment

Originally posted by Yfrwlf View Post
      I still think there needs to be a lot more focus on graphics engines though.
      There has been quite a bit of it with Xreal, Nexuiz, Alien Arena, Sauerbraten etc. All of these engines have made major advancements the last few years, and are at least on par with id tech4 in alot of areas. I don't think it'll stop there, the gap will continue to close as these engines keep adding more modern features.

Comment

Originally posted by Irritant View Post
        There has been quite a bit of it with Xreal, Nexuiz, Alien Arena, Sauerbraten etc. All of these engines have made major advancements the last few years, and are at least on par with id tech4 in alot of areas. I don't think it'll stop there, the gap will continue to close as these engines keep adding more modern features.
        large advancements yes. But as you said only after a few years. Tech 4 is so 2004 . FOSS has always been a few years behind. That said, the teams are doing a great job and deserve a handful of support.

Comment

Originally posted by Irritant View Post
          Definitely, but what I'd like to see is less duplicated effort and more focused work on a few good engines that can then be plugged into a game fairly easily. Focus on a few really good engines instead of re-creating one for every game out there. Ogre3D for instance is fairly impressive feature-wise, you should see some of the screenshots and such if you haven't. Here's one of probably hundreds of YouTube vids showing off some of Ogre3D's features http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=woHZRUlOQqo

Comment

I'm not sure what Blender uses built-in, I thought it used Ogre3D or Crystal Space, I know it *can* use either one, but any way here are some games made with it:

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Here's "Oblivion" created with Blender hehe, no clue if they're open sourcing their creation though, but Blender's way of adding "logic blocks" in order to quickly create a game is very exciting to me, that's exactly the kind of thing that is needed, making it easier to create content (check the other Krum vids too):
            Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Geez there are tons of new Blender games on Youtube now, older one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXT2q2EY94I

Also really cool being able to jump right into your game at the push of a button in Blender.

Comment

Ogre3D is a render engine not a game engine. It's good at what it does but for a game you need a complete package. Having to tie all ends together on your own is not going to get FOSS out of the so-last-year hole it unfortunately is in right now ( not a problem of FOSS itself but of the system ).

Comment

Originally posted by Dragonlord View Post
                Ogre3D is a render engine not a game engine. It's good at what it does but for a game you need a complete package. Having to tie all ends together on your own is not going to get FOSS out of the so-last-year hole it unfortunately is in right now ( not a problem of FOSS itself but of the system ).
                agreed.

The pieces of the puzzle exist. Each price is gold plated at that. The one missing piece is some game logic and binding.

Every attempt to unify ogre with other parts seems to be a failure because:

a. game logic doesnt exist in ogre
                b. not everyone can agree on what physics engine to use, networking ect.

Comment

So is UT3 still going to linux? Is Icculus waiting for the 2 year anniversary?

Comment

Still waiting here, it's going to be flipping awesome once it gets ported.

Comment

Originally posted by hax0r View Post
                      Still waiting here, it's going to be flipping awesome once it gets ported.
                      if it gets ported

Comment

Working...
                      X