Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 2.6.30-rc7 Kernel Released

Phoronix: Linux 2.6.30-rc7 Kernel Released

For those around the computer this holiday weekend in the United States, Linus Torvalds has announced the seventh release candidate for the Linux 2.6.30 kernel. Linux 2.6.30-rc7 kernel brings a late driver to the kernel for the Cisco PCI-Express FCoE HBA SCSI adapter and besides that the rest of the fixes are small changes. The Linux 2.6.30-rc7 kernel release announcement can be read at LKML.org. While the Linux 2.6.31 cycle is nearing, it is anticipated that there will be a Linux 2.6.30-rc8 kernel before going gold -- likely in the first week of June...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I wish Linux 2.6.30 could wait a bit more before being gold. I would be really disapointed not to find DRI2/KMS support for my radeon card into Linux 2.6.31 just because the radeon team was one week late for example.

Comment

drm can be easyly updated using dkms. I see no big deal there.

Comment

Originally posted by M?P?F View Post
        I wish Linux 2.6.30 could wait a bit more before being gold. I would be really disapointed not to find DRI2/KMS support for my radeon card into Linux 2.6.31 just because the radeon team was one week late for example.
        New features can only go in during the merge window which is in the two weeks before the rc1 release.

After the rc1 release is made everything is mostly in "bugfix mode".

So delaying 2.6.30 wont get you any features you want sooner (well as delaying 2.6.30 would mean delaying 2.6.31 you would have to wait even longer )

Comment

Originally posted by Dragoran View Post
          New features can only go in during the merge window which is in the two weeks before the rc1 release.

After the rc1 release is made everything is mostly in "bugfix mode".

So delaying 2.6.30 wont get you any features you want sooner (well as delaying 2.6.30 would mean delaying 2.6.31 you would have to wait even longer )
          What if Linux 2.6.30 was released today and the .31 merge window would close in two weeks from today? KMS/GEM would not make it in time. A later .30 release means a later date for the .31 merge window.

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
            drm can be easyly updated using dkms. I see no big deal there.
            I just don't know yet if a patch exists for latest kernels. The only one I saw was for the 2.6.28. I'm using the 2.6.30rc6 kernel and I like it. Moreover, being merged in the kernel would mean a greater audience and thus, a greater stability.

Originally posted by d2kx View Post
            What if Linux 2.6.30 was released today and the .31 merge window would close in two weeks from today? KMS/GEM would not make it in time. A later .30 release means a later date for the .31 merge window.
            Exactly, I wish it could be delayed a bit more because I read radeon team was not sure to be able to make it for the 2.6.31.
            Last edited by MuPuF; 24 May 2009, 06:05 AM.

Comment

Also, with this release ppl who prefer stable kernels can finally update the radeon driver beyond 6.11

Comment

Well as long as CONFIG_COMEDI is not used the new kernel seems to run pretty good. Had some issues with aufs2 x86-64 first but this seems to be resolved now (at least in very short tests). As result is that i have got live images now with that kernel. If you want to try just ask in my irc channel #kanotix on freenode.

Comment

Using LZMA at this point seams a bit risky, as the format haven't finalized.

Red Hat considered LZMA as payload for RPM for Fedora 12, but they didn't wanted to be in the same situation as Suse, where the LZMA format have changed, and Novell now have two types of RPM's; RPM's with depricated LZMA and RPM's with finalized LZMA.

Comment

I don't get your problem, the decompressor is kernel inside. Just would like to know if squashfs does support lzma now too when the decompressor is already inside the kernel.

Comment

Working...
                    X