Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Linux MMORPG Game Engine Sees Major Update

If I shouldn't, why are you shouting "Cedega" all over the place?

Maybe you should write a mail to:

Advertising, General Business Inquiries
    phoronix [at] phoronix.com

Quote Originally Posted by Odin View Post

cheers

+1 to that

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Odin View Post

Funny one

I don't understand Cedega. I tried a copy but apparently you can't run exe's directly. On top of that, I couldn't install steam so I just removed it.... it wanted me to install it through some weird mechanism and install a separate profile which was more work than my current wine install.

I don't know, compared to wine it's even less useful (can't run stupid exe's directly) so I never bothered. Wine's Direct3D code is also improving at a frightening speed so I really don't know who would pay for cedega - it's crap.

btw, why is no one actually talking about the game? Someone said it sucks without playing it or hearing about it which I thought was pretty funny but not constructive, haha.

Can we talk about the game please?
    And MMORPG's aren't supposed to have intense graphics. They need to support a lot of old hardware, and events can involves hundreds of people at a time. Crysis-like graphics means that only a very small number of people would be able to enjoy the game.

But anyway, what's the gameplay like?

I don't know about the current prices in other countries but if you do not already own some throw-away Windows XP-license that you could use for gaming, buying one for XP here in Sweden will set you back about the same as a 2.5 year subscription of Cedega.

With that in mind and the fact that I have never managed to run a game in Cedega without problems, I just do not find it a very interesting solution at all. Sure, you don't need to dual boot, but who cares when you get subpar performance and unpredictable behaviour compared to the game running on the platform for which it was designed. Assuming that you bought the game, you are still supporting Windows as a gaming platform, which is pretty much the only edge Windows have over Linux for the young generation of desktop users. The only one suffering from squeezing the game through Cedega is you.

No, these days its all native, emulators or dosbox ;-)

Honestly, who gives a rat's ass about Wine/any other Winbloat API-imitation.

It's just worsening the problem. It allows Microsoft users to move to Linux without giving up on the ill mentality they've been bred up with -- of getting whatever they want whenever. Not to mention the waste of human resources going over duplicating stuff.

I apologise, but anyone who uses Wine is an idiot in my eyes. A pure, complete retard. Not excusable. Stop fooling yourself and dualboot if you have to, it's no shame. I really liked Diablo 2 and when the 3rd instalment comes out I might buy it and get dualboot / play virtualised. As for other games, even if I'd like playing them, I'd bite the bullet and keep Windows off my computer. But using Wine is an inexcusable waste of resources and promoting mental ill.

</2ct>
    Last edited by susikala; 05-23-2009 at 04:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by superppl View Post
    Can we talk about the game please?
    And MMORPG's aren't supposed to have intense graphics.
    Says who?

This game is still no World of Warcraft or Everquest when it comes to the game-play or graphics,
    Certainly not the article, nor other MMORPG's such as the afformentioned games and AD&D Online, Eve, etc.... Just because it's online doesn't mean that it can't have eyecandy.

As a side note I love how they put the video's in wmv or quicktime but nothing linux friendly.
    Last edited by deanjo; 05-23-2009 at 04:26 PM.

What's wrong with QT? Mplayer without any binary codec crap plays them just fine.

Of course this might not be if $DISTRO distributes a castrated build without mp3 etc support, but who uses the castrated builds anyway.

edit: in fact, the QT videos in the announcement are MJPEG/WAV.. Should be playable on anything that supports the mov mux format.
    Last edited by curaga; 05-23-2009 at 05:17 PM.

"This game is still no World of Warcraft [...] when it comes to the game-play or graphics"

Uhm, WoW has awful graphics by today's standards. :P So that actually means this one blows major :P