WINE 1.1.22 Brings Few Graphics Improvements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jimmy View Post
    Its interesting that nine years after Microsoft released a 64-bit edition of Windows XP there are still only a handful of 64-bit apps for Windows. You can't even get Silverlight for 64-bit IE (The only 64-bit browser for Windows last I checked).
    http://wiki.mozilla-x86-64.com/Firefoxownload

Contrast with Linux where you can get just about everything in 64-bit or 32-bit versions. You can get 64-bit Moonlight for your 64-bit Firefox if you really wanted to. That's kinda funny.

The exceptions are the few (very few) closed source games that made it over to Linux and Windows software via Wine.

Linux users should count themselves lucky I guess. You could be suck in the Windows world: running a 64-bit OS for nothing because nearly all your software is still 32-bit.
    A lot of the reason you don't see 64-bit applications for windows is simply because many of the apps do not require the large memory ability or see any real improvement over 32-bit so making them in 64-bit is just added development time for no real increase in revenue. Several of the large applications that can actually exploit that though have been available in 64-bit flavor for quite a while such as Pro/E, Maya, 3dsmax, photoshop, etc.

BTW Windows XP for x86-64 has been around for only 6 years.

Comment

Added development time? You mean, in the windows world it's more than just a -m64 switch?

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
        Added development time? You mean, in the windows world it's more than just a -m64 switch?
        It's more in the linux world as well. -m64 does no good if the code is not 64-bit friendly. Making an app 64-bit friendly is more then just a switch. Take a look at xbmc if you want to see a good example of this, where the devs answer to not fixing threading on 64-bit is "Run ubuntu 32-bit with 3 Gigs of ram and don't use 64-bit because SDL can't handle 64-bit threads properly".
        Last edited by deanjo; 23 May 2009, 12:56 PM.

Comment

Yeah, I was generalizing. But in most cases, even code from -99 has worked fine on my 64-bit box.

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
            It's more in the linux world as well. -m64 does no good if the code is not 64-bit friendly. Making an app 64-bit friendly is more then just a switch. Take a look at xbmc if you want to see a good example of this, where the devs answer to not fixing threading on 64-bit is "Run ubuntu 32-bit with 3 Gigs of ram and don't use 64-bit because SDL can't handle 64-bit threads properly".
            Most 32bit programs run just fine on a 64bit Windows (tm). (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WOW64) What doesn't run is 32bit *drivers*. Then again, try running 32bit kernel modules on a 64bit kernel and you notice Windows isn't the only OS with such problems...
            Does anyone really *need* 64bit programs?
            Last edited by nanonyme; 23 May 2009, 01:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by nanonyme View Post
              Does anyone really *need* 64bit programs?
              lol, oh hell yes. When your dealing with items such as insanely huge HD pics, models, and data sets that ram does come in handy. I've got a few models for 3dsmax for example when you try to load them the system in 32-bit basically screams back "Are you fscking kidding me?". These models when loaded with textures are >5 GB in size.

Comment

Originally posted by MaestroMaus View Post
                Well deserved!
                Yeah, it is amazing how much money your share holders will make when you fire 1/3 of your work force.

Comment

Originally posted by yogi_berra View Post
                  Yeah, it is amazing how much money your share holders will make when you fire 1/3 of your work force.
                  Not to mention when your shares dropping close to penny stock values. It doesn't take much to double your value afterwards. Still a far cry from their peak value days.

Comment

Working...
                  X