Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 550 Days Later, UT3 Linux Appears Dead

Phoronix: 550 Days Later, UT3 Linux Appears Dead

If you follow Phoronix or the Linux gaming scene at all you will know the mess that has become to be known as Unreal Tournament 3. Last month when we asked Epic Games about the status of the Linux game client, they were not even sure. Back in March the developer responsible for porting the UT3 client and server to Linux, Ryan Gordon, claimed to be still working on it and was just optimizing and fixing annoying bugs...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

sad isnt it. I think its something we have all known for a while whether we had admitted it or not.

Comment

I can't believe I bought this game and have never played it, what the fuck. They had no problem with supporting linux in the past, and where even enthusiastic about it at times... what a bunch of jerks, no fucking official statement even.

Comment

Originally posted by oneman View Post
        I can't believe I bought this game and have never played it, what the fuck. They had no problem with supporting linux in the past, and where even enthusiastic about it at times... what a bunch of jerks, no fucking official statement even.
        Same here...
        Yeah I know it was stupid to buy it before there was a client out. That was definately the last game I bought before there is official linux support.

Comment

Originally posted by oneman View Post
          I don't really want to add insult to injury but the only thing stupid about that was you guys buying this before Linux support was confirmed to be working. I wanted to buy UT3 and even pre-ordered it but when I heard they would ship the Linux support as a "patch" afterwards I cancelled and it seems that would have been the right thing to do. I'm still very fond of that whole "someone is paying them to keep it back" conspiracy theory. It works on several consoles and there was even a running build showed off by the dev so what's the problem other than someone doesn't want it to come out. Someone ask icculus about it ... if he doesn't rip your head off maybe we get another excuse to help ourselves over the months until the next article of this kind is posted on phoronix.

Comment

I don't understand the hype about games for Linux. So what if ONE game is ported to Linux. That doesn't change anything. Linux will not be a gaming platform, as long as Windows is installed on 90% of all desktops, and the GPU drivers are optimized for Windows.

Solution: Buy Cedega, end of problem
            Last edited by Louise; 22 May 2009, 11:53 AM.

Comment

The biggest problem is the perfermance drop you have with wine or cedega. As long as this is not resolved a highend gfx cards is as slow as a low budget one with it when you play demanding games. In those cases i would prefer dual boot.

Comment

Is that a general rule, that there is a performance drop?

I think I have seen benchmarks that show sometimes the game is a few frames faster on Linux?

Comment

It's quite obvious they don't want to release the game for Linux. And if they do, they did it on purpose to release it 2 years after the Windows release. In any case, of course I'm not buying this shit. I'de rather boot on Windows and play another game.

Comment

Originally posted by Louise View Post
                    Solution: Buy Cedega, end of problem
                    @ all the new Linux users reading this: check the Cedega forums first and decide then if it is worth your money.

Originally posted by Louise View Post
                    Is that a general rule, that there is a performance drop?

I think I have seen benchmarks that show sometimes the game is a few frames faster on Linux?
                    I think it is safe to say that is a general rule. I never ever saw a performance increase with a wide variety of games. Feel free to prove me wrong though.

Comment

Working...
                    X