OCZ Vertex SATA 2.0 60GB SSD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by fackamato View Post
    This review is completely flawed, unless I missed something.

The partition is not aligned, therefore you get degraded performance. Windows Vista and 7 aligns the partition automatically and correctly (1MB offset). See this thread: http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/fo...ad.php?t=54379

You'll want to use the right io scheduler (deadline seems to be ok), the right ext4 mount options, and correct alignment.
    Interesting, I wonder if the same could be applied to flash drives.

Comment

The aligning to erase blocks works with SD cards at least.

OTOH I recently read an article about how Windows' 1mb aligning was just plain wrong, but IIRC the article was about EFI/GUID, not SSD.

Comment

Well it does seem to make a difference with USB keys as well.

Not quite 30% but still the effect is pretty dramatic.
        Last edited by deanjo; 23 May 2009, 01:38 PM.

Comment

just don't forget that SSD performance completly breaks down after a while.

Comment

Originally posted by energyman View Post
            just don't forget that SSD performance completly breaks down after a while.
            No it doesn't. Maybe 10 years ago, not now.

Comment

Originally posted by fackamato View Post
              No it doesn't. Maybe 10 years ago, not now.
              so very wrong. Even the latest SSDs crap out after a short time.

Comment

so very wrong. Even the latest SSDs crap out after a short time.
                http://www.anandtech.com/storage/showdoc.aspx?i=3531
                Use a smart os, use trim, right fs/mount options, ram temp folders etc and you'll be fine for many years. But sure, if you benchmark your ssd everyday you'll wear it out a bit faster than it would during normal use.

Comment

normal usage - where you are constantly at 80%? trim - that not even implemented command?

ssds might be ok in some years. but I am not holding my breath.

Comment

normal usage - where you are constantly at 80%? trim - that not even implemented command?

ssds might be ok in some years. but I am not holding my breath.
                    TRIM is supported in Windows 7 and Linux (ext4), the next FW (coming this week) from OCZ will support it.

I don't consider constantly at 80% being normal usage, but I get your point. Actually my Vista partition on my Vertex has been sitting on 9GB free of 46GB for a while now, and I haven't experienced any slowdowns.

I got the SSD because I wanted superior performance for a good price. In a year or so there'll be a lot faster SSDs with greater storage for the same price, or you could get the original Vertex for a few dollars. Everything has shortcomings, if you want the best you will constantly upgrade.

Comment

I actually read the full Anandtech article about SSD's. And my conclusion was, not a single one of them is ready, and that I'm so getting a VelociRaptor for my next comps main drive.

Comment

Working...
                      X