No announcement yet.

radeonhd r6xx-7xx EXA performance patch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This may be a stupid question, but does radeonhd support tear free xv out of the box now? Or is there something I have to enable in xorg.conf. I am asking because I use radeon right now, and are rather satisfied with its performance.

If I can switch to radeonhd without performanceloss with xv, I am willing to test your patch.

Comment

Radeon and radeonhd share most of the same code. Radeonhd supports tear free video using Xv just the same as radeon. My patch does a little to improve performance of Xv but it largely won't make much difference except saving on cpu cycles.

Comment

Just tried radeonhd master and r6xx-r7xx-branch.

1. It doesn't use EXA but ShadowFB on my computer.
        2. There is some static noise around text, when doing VT switch.
        3. xvinfo:
        Code:
        $ xvinfo
        X-Video Extension version 2.2
        screen #0
         no adaptors present
        4. Radeonhd doesn't seem to support any powersaving options. I know those options in radeon isn't completed og fancy right now, but at least they exist.

I will jump back to radeon. But couldn't you just port the patch to radeon?

Comment

Yangman added power saving options to radeonhd as well : http://lists.opensuse.org/radeonhd/2.../msg00163.html

EDIT - from IRC discussion this might be 5xx only, not sure. Will try to confirm.
          Last edited by bridgman; 22 May 2009, 11:19 AM.
          Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
            Yangman added power saving options to radeonhd as well : http://lists.opensuse.org/radeonhd/2.../msg00163.html

EDIT - from IRC discussion this might be 5xx only, not sure. Will try to confirm.
            Thx bridgman.

I didn't find anything related power saving options in the man pages for radeonhd, and the power saving options for radeon didn't work with radeonhd.

I have a r600 based card, if you wanted to know

Comment

Power management in radeonhd should work for all cards it supports as it uses the AtomBIOS calls if I remember correctly.

tball,

My patch should apply against the master branch of radeonhd. It sounds as though you are having a problem with the dri though. Without dri working the code in my patch won't even be run. I would recommend getting getting radeonhd to work using EXA without my patch first. I think the same dri modules that work with radeon work with radeonhd but I'm not sure.

I haven't looked at the radeon code but porting my patch probably won't be a trivial task.

Comment

Originally posted by Obscene_CNN View Post
                Power management in radeonhd should work for all cards it supports as it uses the AtomBIOS calls if I remember correctly.

tball,

My patch should apply against the master branch of radeonhd. It sounds as though you are having a problem with the dri though. Without dri working the code in my patch won't even be run. I would recommend getting getting radeonhd to work using EXA without my patch first. I think the same dri modules that work with radeon work with radeonhd but I'm not sure.

I haven't looked at the radeon code but porting my patch probably won't be a trivial task.
                I have an already working dri / drm installation with r6xx-r7xx-branch. Radeon works very well with that version and I thinks its odd radeonhd won't use it. Is there any radeonhd specific options i forgot in my xorg.conf? Should i specify manually, that I want to use dri/drm -> exa with radeonhd somewhere?

Comment

tball,

In your device section you should have the following options set for radeonhd to use DRI and EXA.

Option "AccelMethod" "EXA"
                  Option "DRI" "On"

Comment

Originally posted by Obscene_CNN View Post
                    tball,

In your device section you should have the following options set for radeonhd to use DRI and EXA.

Option "AccelMethod" "EXA"
                    Option "DRI" "On"
                    Works. But how do you patch radeonhd git? It says 24 out of 24 hunks failed.
                    Code:
                    $ patch -p1 < patch                           
                    patching file src/r600_exa.c                                                          
                    Hunk #1 FAILED at 39.                                                                 
                    Hunk #2 FAILED at 100.                                                                
                    Hunk #3 FAILED at 116.                                                                
                    Hunk #4 FAILED at 595.                                                                
                    Hunk #5 FAILED at 938.                                                                
                    Hunk #6 FAILED at 960.                                                                
                    Hunk #7 FAILED at 1115.                                                               
                    Hunk #8 FAILED at 1269.                                                               
                    Hunk #9 FAILED at 1914.                                                               
                    Hunk #10 FAILED at 1924.                                                              
                    Hunk #11 FAILED at 1954.                                                              
                    Hunk #12 FAILED at 2075.                                                              
                    Hunk #13 FAILED at 2147.                                                              
                    Hunk #14 FAILED at 2162.                                                              
                    Hunk #15 FAILED at 2243.                                                              
                    Hunk #16 FAILED at 2319.                                                              
                    Hunk #17 FAILED at 2358.                                                              
                    Hunk #18 FAILED at 2462.                                                              
                    Hunk #19 FAILED at 2606.                                                              
                    Hunk #20 FAILED at 2909.                                                              
                    Hunk #21 FAILED at 2930.                                                              
                    21 out of 21 hunks FAILED -- saving rejects to file src/r600_exa.c.rej                
                    patching file src/r600_state.h                                                        
                    Hunk #1 FAILED at 204.                                                                
                    1 out of 1 hunk FAILED -- saving rejects to file src/r600_state.h.rej                 
                    patching file src/r600_textured_videofuncs.c                                          
                    Hunk #1 FAILED at 48.                                                                 
                    Hunk #2 FAILED at 66.                                                                 
                    Hunk #3 FAILED at 86.                                                                 
                    Hunk #4 FAILED at 97.                                                                 
                    Hunk #5 FAILED at 224.                                                                
                    Hunk #6 FAILED at 245.                                                                
                    Hunk #7 FAILED at 275.                                                                
                    Hunk #8 FAILED at 295.                                                                
                    Hunk #9 FAILED at 321.                                                                
                    Hunk #10 FAILED at 398.                                                               
                    Hunk #11 FAILED at 445.                                                               
                    Hunk #12 FAILED at 469.                                                               
                    Hunk #13 FAILED at 480.                                                               
                    Hunk #14 FAILED at 491.                                                               
                    Hunk #15 FAILED at 540.                                                               
                    Hunk #16 FAILED at 623.                                                               
                    Hunk #17 FAILED at 672.                                                               
                    17 out of 17 hunks FAILED -- saving rejects to file src/r600_textured_videofuncs.c.rej
                    patching file src/r6xx_accel.c                                                        
                    Hunk #1 FAILED at 64.                                                                 
                    Hunk #2 FAILED at 76.                                                                 
                    Hunk #3 FAILED at 107.                                                                
                    Hunk #4 FAILED at 154.                                                                
                    Hunk #5 FAILED at 175.                                                                
                    Hunk #6 FAILED at 225.                                                                
                    Hunk #7 FAILED at 293.                                                                
                    Hunk #8 FAILED at 339.                                                                
                    Hunk #9 FAILED at 382.                                                                
                    Hunk #10 FAILED at 441.                                                               
                    Hunk #11 FAILED at 550.                                                               
                    Hunk #12 FAILED at 559.                                                               
                    Hunk #13 FAILED at 574.                                                               
                    Hunk #14 FAILED at 614.                                                               
                    Hunk #15 FAILED at 663.                                                               
                    Hunk #16 FAILED at 683.                                                               
                    Hunk #17 FAILED at 765.                                                               
                    Hunk #18 FAILED at 837.                                                               
                    Hunk #19 FAILED at 925.                                                               
                    Hunk #20 FAILED at 1114.                                                              
                    Hunk #21 FAILED at 1161.                                                              
                    Hunk #22 FAILED at 1184.                                                              
                    Hunk #23 FAILED at 1417.                                                              
                    patch unexpectedly ends in middle of line                                             
                    Hunk #24 FAILED at 1461.                                                              
                    24 out of 24 hunks FAILED -- saving rejects to file src/r6xx_accel.c.rej

Comment

tball

Are you in the xf86-video-radeonhd directory when you issue the patch command?

Comment

Working...
                      X