Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• happy with radeonhd

Hello,

Just to say that i'm really happy with radeon/radeonhd and all the development about this project and encourage/thank people in charge of it.
    It just misses complete 3D implementation and everybody will switch to this driver, if it's not ever done.

GO ON !!!

Just one thing : do you know a graphical way to configure the xorg.conf with opensource driver (Something like ccmde) cause i havent seen any info about that on radeon/radeonhd website.

Bibi

Originally posted by bibi View Post
    It just misses complete 3D implementation and everybody will switch to this driver, if it's not ever done.
    I'm also missing fan speed control, it's very important for me because by default it's too noisy.

Comment

Yeah, redeon/radeonhd are awesome. Question thought: Does the driver use the correct amount of vRAM for you guys? Both drivers correctly detect all the memory (512MB) but then I get a message about the driver only being able to use half, as well as radeonhd detecting the memory as 128bit (should be 256bit). None of this really matters right now seeing as there is no need for performance, but I wonder if that's a bug or simply a temporary limitation.

Comment

Originally posted by Melcar View Post
        Yeah, redeon/radeonhd are awesome. Question thought: Does the driver use the correct amount of vRAM for you guys? Both drivers correctly detect all the memory (512MB) but then I get a message about the driver only being able to use half, as well as radeonhd detecting the memory as 128bit (should be 256bit). None of this really matters right now seeing as there is no need for performance, but I wonder if that's a bug or simply a temporary limitation.
        I was wondering the same thing... the video card in my laptop has 1GB, but the driver says it only uses 256MB. I know the 1GB video RAM is pure just a "sales feature", as I don't think it makes any difference with this card, and it is just DDR2.

I also wonder if the card is even able to use 1GB of video RAM....

Edit: I have an HD3650 BTW.
        Last edited by glock24; 21 May 2009, 02:07 AM.

Comment

Same thing for me :
          Code:
          (II) RADEONHD(0): The detected amount of videoram exceeds the PCI BAR aperture.
          (II) RADEONHD(0): Using only 262144kB of the total 524288kB.
          (--) RADEONHD(0): VideoRAM: 262144 kByte
          Bibi.
          Last edited by bibi; 21 May 2009, 04:55 AM.

Comment

The max pci aperture size is 256 MB, so that is the largest amount of vram that can be accessed by CPU. The GPU can address the entire amount of vram. We currently limit the amount of vram to 256 MB since we lack a proper memory manager to provide access to buffers in GPU-only space to the CPU. This is being addressed in the new kernel modesetting, ttm radeon drm.

Comment

Working...
            X