AMD Catalyst 9.5 Driver For Linux Released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by mathojojo View Post
    Well, I'm really the only one here, who hopes to use his ATI hardware to get a dual-head display??? Is it a crazy idea??

Again.. If you can, Thx for your help
    There are three options for using dual displays with Ubuntu 8.10

1. RANDR1.2 - single surface with 2 monitors a command similar to the following sets the output. Note that you need to ensure the virtual size is large enough to support your maximum resolutions.

Code:
      xrandr --output DFP1 --left-of --output DFP2
      This should be what comes up out of the box.
    2. Multi-head - (some call this zaphod mode), you have two X Screens (:0.0 and :0.1), the desktops are essentially independent, with the mouse and keyboard shared with them (focus controlled by the mouse).

You can configure this by

Code:
      aticonfig --initial=dual-head  (use -f if needed)
    3. Xinerama - Multi-head with a unified workspace. This is effectively a hack on dual head that is more useful with multiple ASICs. For a single ASIC, RANDR1.2 or later is vastly superior.

Code:
      aticonfig --intial=dual-head --xinerama=on

Please note that there may be bugs, so provide feedback on the behaviours and we can go from there.

Regards,

Matthew
    Last edited by mtippett; 26 May 2009, 01:10 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by mtippett View Post
      There are three options for using dual displays with Ubuntu 8.10

1. RANDR1.2 - single surface with 2 monitors a command similar to the following sets the output. Note that you need to ensure the virtual size is large enough to support your maximum resolutions.

Code:
        xrandr --output DFP1 --left-of --output DFP2
        This should be what comes up out of the box.
      2. Multi-head - (some call this zaphod mode), you have two X Screens (:0.0 and :0.1), the desktops are essentially independent, with the mouse and keyboard shared with them (focus controlled by the mouse).

Code:
        aticonfig --initial=dual-head  (use -f if needed)
      3. Xinerama - Multi-head with a unified workspace. This is effectively a hack on dual head that is more useful with multiple ASICs. For a single ASIC, RANDR1.2 or later is vastly superior.

Code:
        aticonfig --intial=dual-head --xinerama=on

Please note that there may be bugs, so provide feedback on the behaviours and we can go from there.

Regards,

Matthew
      Thank you Matthew, your fast answer is very welcome.

I think, I have understood the 3 ways you mean. But I need some presisions :
      - How can I create a virtual size (needed for the first option)?
      - Is that possible even if fglrx is said "not randr 1.2 compliant" ??
      - Why is this command :xrandr --output DFP1 --left-of --output DFP2, not available with the graphical tool amdcccle ? (options are not available like it was on intrepid)

Thank you again Matthew

Mathojojo
      Last edited by mathojojo; 26 May 2009, 01:19 PM.

Comment

• Outputting to a TV via HDMI doesn't work in 9.5 either.
        Works fine in radeonhd using xrandr --output DFP1 --auto
        Not so in 9.5... crashes with

X Error of failed request
        Major opcode of failed request: 157 (RANDR)
        Minor opcode of failed request: 29 ()
        Serial number of failed request: 27
        Current serial number in output stream: 27

And no amount of trickery with amdccle or xrandr flags output anyting to the TV.

Comment

• Hi,
          I've noticed that my 4650hd is always at full speed since I use catalyst 9.5. I didn't checked on 9.4, but I'm quite sure it worked with 9.3...
          First I thought it was due to composite manager, but it is not. I always have several gdm sessions opened, maybe it is linked to ?
          Have someone noticed such a problem ?

thx
          jery

Comment

• Originally posted by Kano View Post
            The problem with ATI is: they work too slow. Currently you need a KERNEL patch that exports one symbol to get it running together with other adjustments. So if they really need that symbol they should test it NOW and not when the rc phase is over.
            Where can i get the patches ?
            Is there any how-to ?

Comment

• As for the how-to, no idea. But anyway, I don't recommend to run it on 2.6.29. The drivers reports "bad kernel data" all the time.

Comment

• 9.5 on 2.6.28 = everything perfect (compiz, opengl, video), except:

since 9.3 the "Override Application Setting" in amdcccle for "Anti-Aliasing" has no effect in Quake 3.

any ideas how to fix this?

distro: gentoo ~amd64
                xorg: 1.5.3-r5
                randr: 1.2.3
                randproto: 1.2.2
                libdrm: 2.4.11

Comment

• @RealNC

That's the "short" patch i use for Kanotix, that required that you additionally install some extra headers. Those are not there in Ubuntu (and other) default kernel packages - therefore i patched the kernel packageing. Do not expect it to work everywhere.

Comment

Working...
                  X