Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by yoshi314 View Post
    the only reasonable solution i see right now

ati is said to be to releasing rewritten opengl core in their drivers soon.

it is planned to come to linux as well - so the developers are not going to mess around with the current codebase apart from usual bugfixing.

that's the way i see it now - we cannot expect new features nor performance gains in fglrx until that new opengl core hits fglrx.
    Exactly. But "Soon" means sometimes in 2007.

Comment

maybe soon will be defined (roughly probably) by Michael's AMD slides. cross your everything.

Comment

since that new core was planned for vista it should appear pretty soon on windows. and since ati/amd tries to keep things in sync between arches and systems it might come fairly quickly on linux as well.

so i consider current fglrx drivers an soon-to-obsoleted codebase branch that is receining bugfixes only.

what about the new control panel? well i don't think that the driver api will change that much. external apps probably will still work.

Comment

Vista has the new opengl driver since January. Windows XP and Linux will get them later. If the new article by Michael is ever going to get online, we may know some new things. I can't wait, I hate waiting ^^ ... no wait, waiting is beautiful, but you only see it this way after things get released.

Comment

Originally posted by d2kx View Post
            Vista has the new opengl driver since January. Windows XP and Linux will get them later. If the new article by Michael is ever going to get online, we may know some new things. I can't wait, I hate waiting ^^ ... no wait, waiting is beautiful, but you only see it this way after things get released.
            It will get online soon enough. As soon as I receive all of the slides from AMD, I'll see that the article gets top priority.
            Michael Larabel
            https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
              It will get online soon enough. As soon as I receive all of the slides from AMD, I'll see that the article gets top priority.
              Coolness. I can't wait to see what new info comes out of the article.

Comment

Originally posted by d2kx View Post
                Heh... I keep telling myself I probably need to work on this "patience" thing my mother kept chiding me about...

I guess waiting another handful or so of months won't be TOO bad. I just wish they'd fix the performance issues- I don't care how or with which driver codebase they choose to do it with.

Comment

Regarding times, see: http://www.michaellarabel.com/?k=blog&i=147

If AIGLX isn't supported by the end of this year, I will quit using ATI/AMD graphics cards. Is that enough of a statement?
                  Michael Larabel
                  https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

If someone is shopping for a graphic card and wants some features, he/she is better to buy a card that supports the required feature now instead of another card that will or might support-it sometime in the future.

One thing is sure for now, if you need uptimum performance, on par with what is available under windows, AMD is not the company to buy from.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                      Regarding times, see: http://www.michaellarabel.com/?k=blog&i=147

If AIGLX isn't supported by the end of this year, I will quit using ATI/AMD graphics cards. Is that enough of a statement?
                      Yes, it is, Michael... And, it's telling. I just wish I knew whether AMD's paying any attention to this or not.

Comment

Working...
                      X