Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can X do this?

Hi all,

I've just been speaking to one of the Wine devs about being stuck at a low resolution when a fullscreen game crashes. He said that Windows has a concept of a temporary resolution change (CDS_FULLSCREEN flag), which will reset the resolution if the app crashes. Does xrandr/xserver have anything like this, if not, why not?

Luke.

I don't think so. But this feature could be handled within wine.

If a wine program crashes, there's still wineserver running, and that should be able to do the needed cleanup work. If you want this feature, I suggest investigating there first.

Comment

Sorry I should have been clearer, Wine can be patched to handle this situation, but the same thing happens with native games too. It would be something very useful for X to have, I'm just wondering why it doesn't already.

Comment

Open shell, type xrandr --auto
        Or, ctrl-alt-keypadplus

Comment

There's an open request for this, but no action on it yet:

Comment

Easy scripting solution:
            Code:
            #usage: give program and it parameters as argument
            XRANDR_PARAMS="-s 1024x768"

$*

if [ $? ]
            then
                xrandr $XRANDR_PARAMS
            fi
            Of course it could be possible to parse xradr output for current mode and pass that as argument instead of preset argument list

Comment

if you're going for workarounds, the best workaround is to run the games in a second, independent X server. That way, you can still switch between game and desktop. For example:

Code:
              xinit ut2004 -- :1 -br
              or if you'd like to setup the second X server, just create a simple script to pass to xinit, i.e.:

Code:
              #!/bin/bash

nvidia-settings --config="~/ut2004_nvidia-settings-rc" --load-config-only
              xmodmap ~/.Xmodmap
              ut2004

Comment

Those workarounds are cool but I was more interested in whether X had something similar and apparently it doesn't, it's a shame this isn't seen as a more important issue by the devs because it's annoying enough for someone experienced in Linux to be left at a crappy resolution if a game crashes, but plain alienating to a newbie. I might look into writing a patch if/when I have some time...

Comment

Originally posted by Kazade View Post
                  Those workarounds are cool but I was more interested in whether X had something similar and apparently it doesn't, it's a shame this isn't seen as a more important issue by the devs because it's annoying enough for someone experienced in Linux to be left at a crappy resolution if a game crashes, but plain alienating to a newbie. I might look into writing a patch if/when I have some time...
                  I'm not sure X is where this needs to be done. It perhaps is a better task for the desktop environment, which should already have bits for dealing with xrandr.

Comment

Working...
                  X