Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't have windows. I am windows free since 1999

Comment

ok, this time I saw something in the first and the fourth scene (and I did not bother to watch the rest). But I am not sure that the distortion is caused by the playback and is not part of the material

Comment

Originally posted by energyman View Post
        ok, this time I saw something in the first and the fourth scene (and I did not bother to watch the rest). But I am not sure that the distortion is caused by the playback and is not part of the material
        Doesn't tear on a nv card so it can't be the material.

Comment

Originally posted by energyman View Post
          It is not part of the material. Disable Desktop Effects (compositing), use the gl2 (yuv) renderer of mplayer instead of Xv, enable VSync in Catalyst Control Center, and try again. Then, and only then, will the video play as it should.

For my eyes, Xv is almost useless in Catalyst right now.

Comment

@RealNC

You example video even shows extreme tearing with the oss driver in the upper area which is usually black with 16:9 movie...
            Last edited by Kano; 15 May 2009, 08:18 PM.

Comment

Yeah, it's the video I usually stick to someone's face when they say "there's no tearing" :P

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
                Yeah, it's the video I usually stick to someone's face when they say "there's no tearing" :P
                Heh, good choice.

Comment

My main machine has a hd4850. Jaunty with the latest fglrx. My monitor is only 60Hz, so maybe it's because the card is too fast? As I said, happens with both fglrx and radeon. And to tell the truth, even X11 output has tearing, so I doubt it's just the drivers.

Comment

Originally posted by Melcar View Post
                    My main machine has a hd4850. Jaunty with the latest fglrx. My monitor is only 60Hz, so maybe it's because the card is too fast?
                    Doesn't work that way, or else videos would playback faster. I'm sure a video I watch here that is, say, 30 minutes long, is also 30 minutes long on your PC. 25 FPS here, 25 FPS there, and everywhere else. How fast the card is doesn't matter. The fact that your monitor runs at 60Hz doesn't mean anything (the video I linked to is a 60FPS video. Since your monitor runs at 60Hz, it's in perfect sync. But, it tears like crazy anyway.) Tearing is the result of the card not waiting for the monitor to get ready before sending it the next frame, resulting in the monitor displaying two frames at the same time, and a "line" is manifesting between those two frames. Some people are able to strongly perceive that line; to those people, it's very annoying. Some lucky ones don't notice it, it seems.

As I said, happens with both fglrx and radeon. And to tell the truth, even X11 output has tearing, so I doubt it's just the drivers.
                    X11 output is *supposed* to have tearing. There's no way to V-Sync it. Xv is not supposed to tear since the driver *should* V-Sync it. But with ATI, well guess; no V-Sync, hence: tearing.
                    Last edited by RealNC; 16 May 2009, 12:01 AM.

Comment

Using Catalyst 9.5 now, stock Ubuntu 9.04 (Jaunty) AMD64, HD4770. Fixed my low res textures in Quake 4 issue, was config file options. See this thread for details.

Compiz seems smoother than with Catalyst 9.4, and of course the "Unsupported hardware" overlay is gone. Alpha blur still doesn't work (apparently it never has, according to another member here .. as if, ATI devs, come on ). Compiz's burn (fire) window close effect is really slow when in Expo mode, however is fine when viewing a normal desktop. Good way to test this is just open a terminal, run "sleep 5s ; exit", then go out into Expo and wait for the window to close itself (obviously need to set your window close effect to burn). This was never an issue with my 7900GT and nVidia drivers.

Sauerbraten (recent release in 2009) has a texture corruption issue (or something?) where enemies' fireballs look corrupted until they get close, same with health pickups and other items. Same issue occurs in the display settings menu (didn't occur with Catalyst 9.4)

Nexuiz 2.5.1 appears to work fine.

Scorched3D 42.1 appears to work fine (windowed, under Metacity).

Playing a video (the one RealNC uses to test for tearing) under VLC with GLX output is perfectly smooth (with Metacity as WM, no compositing), until I drag another window over the top of the GLX output.. stutter deluxe. I don't recall this being an issue on my 7900GT either.

Hmm, yep, nVidia's binary drivers seem to be A++. Definitely, "The way it's meant to be played"
                      Last edited by lem79; 16 May 2009, 12:59 AM. Reason: edit: Add notes about compiz and slow window burn in expo.

Comment

Working...
                      X