• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

does 5.1 work properly?

Comment

Originally posted by chabo View Post
      does 5.1 work properly?
      It works great with DVD playback through VLC, no 5.1 audio on Quake Wars though. Haven't tried it on any other games or movie players yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Chrisrada View Post
        It works great with DVD playback through VLC, no 5.1 audio on Quake Wars though. Haven't tried it on any other games or movie players yet.
        Are you going through digital out? If so then your sound will be 2 channel as you don't have a on-the-fly AC3 software encoding going on.

Comment

Could someone please explain with details how can i enable surround sound 7.1 with my x-fi card?
          I have downloaded the driver from the creative site but i only get 2.1 sound.
          I have ubuntu 8.10 32bit.
          Please....i am a newbie in the linux world. I could not understand the previous posts!
          I would appreciate it so much guys
          Thanx a lot

Comment

Im not sure about the Digital out, here's a screenie of my basic sound settings, . .

I have all of the audio playback set to ALSA since all of the other choices don't seem to play back the 5.1 in DVDs, it could be from my noobie install techniques though.

VLC doesn't save the 5.1 when I play back so I have to go into Audio/Device/5.1 every time I play a disc.

An error pops up, . .

but after closing the dialogue box the surround channels work flawlessley and don't sound bad at all. I'm only doing 5.1 but I see no reason 7.1 wouldn't work.

Comment

uhh, this driver works MUCH better than the creative driver under windows for me =)

nice job!

Comment

Moot Point

Originally posted by superppl View Post
                So was there positive communication between the developers and Creative? If not, then there still isn't any reason to care about their products.

Edit: Well it seems Creative did in fact! Now how long will this last, and should one buy a Creative sound card?
                ************************************************** **************************
                For me it's moot, since I have and require the card to be functional in
                both Windows & Unbuntu. Quite simply put - no sound - NO UNBUNTU.

Wells

Comment

An ASUS Xonar will sound as good as a Creative card and costs about ?50. It uses the C-Media Oxygen chipset and AFAIR works under Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by sentrydogman View Post
                    ************************************************** **************************
                    For me it's moot, since I have and require the card to be functional in
                    both Windows & Unbuntu. Quite simply put - no sound - NO UNBUNTU.

Wells
                    To the kind bloke who suggested spending more coins of the Realm to solve
                    the problem - PHOOEY !

Comment

How do you install this in Ubuntu 9.04 ?? Is there a PPA available or do you have to compile stuff to get this to work ??

Comment

Working...
                      X