Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu 9.10 "Karmic Koala" Alpha 1 Released

Phoronix: Ubuntu 9.10 "Karmic Koala" Alpha 1 Released

The Ubuntu release team has announced the first alpha release for Ubuntu 9.10 (a.k.a. The Karmic Koala)...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I'm waiting until after UDS to merge in the more extreme X changes like the new mesa, kms, intel 2.8, etc. If I break people's laptops right now, I won't get anything done at UDS. ;-)

Comment

Currently it is basically the same as jaunty, just a newer kernel. As basically no sid sync was done yet squashfs-tools is not 4.0 yet which is required for kernel 2.6.29+. Also they still need discussions if they want to use aufs2 or not. For me there is that logical, but not for U devs.

Comment

What do you guys think should be improved in Ubuntu anyway?

It think it's a pretty good out of the box distro, other than gaming is prett much as good as you can ask for.

Comment

The KDE variant was never that good than the GNOME one, also I do not like the support differences between main, universe and multiverse. All is fine when you use only main, but when you need other apps and want security updates like you usually get with pure Debian then you have lost.

Comment

@ Kano: What do you mean by support differences between main and the 'verses?

Comment

Man, Phoronix is such a great website, I'll get subscribed next month. I mean, for a news article to be published and have someone related to the project clarify a bit and give more insight, I think that's great. And I've seen here developers from many different areas of the FOSS world.

Comment

Working...
              X