VDPAU eqivilent forATI?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tball View Post
    But actually when I look at the problems my colleague has at work with nvidia, I feel lucky having an Ati card. He got a lot of problems in Jaunty with QT apps. The text etc within them isn't refreshing and there is graphic corruptions. It might be QT's fault, but neither Intel or fglrx have the same problems (We run the same version of Jaunty).
    Aha, so I'm not the only one! My Quadro NVS 135 suffers from a bug where it fails to refresh the contents of the source editor in MonoDevelop (Gnome application). This is tremendously frustrating - you sometimes fold a function or paste some text and it displays a mix of the old and new text (the text buffer is intact, thankfully).

Back to Ati, its weak(er) points in the consumer market are Compiz and video. Note that tearing in Compiz is actually a Compiz "feature". There are patches that fix this issue, but the developers have refused to apply them. I personally find this ridiculous - we are in freaking 2009, it's absolutely ridiculous to avoid glXSwapControlSGI on the merit of performance. If the performance hit is that large, ship with swap control and disable it by default. Or enable it automatically when framerate > refresh rate.

Video tearing is another matter entirely and I hope it will be fixed at some (not too far away) point. OpenGL for video output works if you have a beefy system, but it's rather inefficient.

However, the real weak spot of Ati is its OpenGL support. It's pretty good nowadays and most things work as they should, but when something breaks you never know when and if it will be fixed (like framebuffer blits of depth attachments that's been reported since last year). It's pretty eye-opening when you compare this to Nvidia, whose representatives post on opengl.org: "ah, yes, this bug was discovered and fixed two days ago, try drivers 185.81."

Comment

Is there an update on the Intel and ATi VDPAU support?

Apparently S3 has implemented it in some of their chrome drivers.

Comment

Originally posted by cruiseoveride View Post
        Is there an update on the Intel and ATi VDPAU support?

Apparently S3 has implemented it in some of their chrome drivers.
        Check this thread for ATI info:

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
          Right now, Linux with an AMD/ATI card is not recommended. I agree that Windows is a better choice at the moment.
          Nvidia seems to be the only game in town for serious 3D stuff such as games...Intel is gaining some ground though, but most Intel GPU's aren't gaming demons.

ATI has a ways to go in getting top notch 3D available on Linux. Fglrx is just a plain mess at this stage, and the FOSS ATI drivers are not quite up to par yet to seriously challenge nVdia

Comment

Originally posted by DivineGrace View Post
            I was talking about the open source drivers.

Comment

Originally posted by cruiseoveride View Post
              I was talking about the open source drivers.
              My mistake. If you can afford some time, give the open source drivers some time to grow. They have developed quite nicely and with more time and developers, I think they could emerge to be quite powerful.

Comment

Wait for kernel 2.6.33 and all tearing issues will be resolved.
                I tried it and must say that it works perfectly (XV or GL with composite desktop). I hope that the next round of ditros will get it in time.
                For correct 3d performances, we'll have to wait for gallium, maybe in 2010 , even if classic mesa with radeon have done some great improvemnents lately.

Bibi

Comment

Working...
                X