LLVM/Clang Replacing GCC In FreeBSD Base

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
    No, it's really the license that interests them. They have some hate of sorts against GPL stuff. I highly doubt this LLVM will offer any real advantages over GCC. Ever.
    Ironically recoding for reasons such as using/not using GPL or Mono or whatever is simply status quo for Open Source in General.

...ignoring the potential benefits already stated on the LLVM page, I think most people are excitedly waiting for LLVM + Gallium3d to super charge their games, so it's difficult to argue that there will be no benefits ever ;-)

[Edit: FWIW, many seem to feel that XOrg is bloated and needs to go, so why not GCC? We should be happy that there are those willing to rethink and rebuild, especially when it gives us better tools and makes those tools accessible to new developers; it future proofs open source]
    Last edited by Craig73; 12 May 2009, 05:25 PM.

Comment

Well, right now LLVM seems like just hot air to me. I've seen too many "we will be great in the future!" projects. But if they wish to support it, it's their right of course. I'm not even using any BSD. I dislike its license too much :P

Comment

Well, right now LLVM seems like just hot air to me. I've seen too many "we will be great in the future!" projects. But if they wish to support it, it's their right of course. I'm not even using any BSD. I dislike its license too much :P
        Yeah, licenses that are compliant with licenses used in other open-source OS's than Linux suck.

Comment

I've seen a handful of BSD users (and, judging from their rhetoric, probable Ayn Rand fanatics) display outright hatred toward the GPL, but I don't recall ever seeing a major BSD developer do so. There are perfectly legitimate reasons to prefer a permissive license. In particular, GPL is incompatible with lots of licenses that are themselves pretty reasonable. It's also a fairly complex document that is seriously misunderstood (and/or not read in the first place) by a lot of people. Some developers even like the idea of contributing to proprietary products without compensation.

Anyway, I'm happy to see any attempt to challenge GCC's dominance, just to help break up the monoculture a bit. A lot of Linux and BSD programs are written in "GNU C", just like a lot of Windows programs are written in "Microsoft C++". I suspect that Clang will mostly "fix" this by implementing GNU extensions so that existing code compiles without changes, though.

Comment

Originally posted by nanonyme View Post
            Yeah, licenses that are compliant with licenses used in other open-source OS's than Linux suck.
            The reason I dislike it is because it allows for... Apple

Comment

The reason I dislike it is because it allows for... Apple
              So... you're all for freedom, until someone wants to do something with THEIR freedom that YOU don't approve of. Nice.

Comment

Originally posted by kraftman View Post
                Even Linux devs complain about GCC and Theo de Raadt is probably right...
                This is strange? I have posted links to Linux kernel devs who complain on the Linux kernel code being buggy. And I have posted links to Theo de Raadt also complaining on the Linux kernel code being buggy. And I have posted links when Linus T says the Linux kernel is bloated.

As a result, I have been told here, that I FUD and lie when I posted those links, and that Linux devs did not complain on the code being buggy. They complained on something else instead. Maybe the hot weather. And I have been told that Theo de Raadt does not nothing anything and that he is, basically, stupid. And that Linus T is not stupid, but he talked about something else. That I dont understand what I did post.

So, when you say that Linux devs and Theo de Raadt complained on GCC, they didnt mean it. The complaints where probably about the latest episode of Seinfeld. So, you can not say GCC is bad, because they talked about Seinfeld.

Comment

Originally posted by kebabbert View Post
                  As a result, I have been told here, that I FUD and lie when I posted those links, and that Linux devs did not complain on the code being buggy.
                  That's your problem, you can't expect people to accept facts anymore, especially in the polarized world of internet software discussions.

Comment

Originally posted by yogi_berra View Post
                    That's your problem, you can't expect people to accept facts anymore, especially in the polarized world of internet software discussions.
                    Yes, but it is a difference between opinions and official benchmarks or research papers or interviews to Linus Torvalds. Official benchmarks are more credible than some random guy writes something random. Why would I believe a random guy? Maybe he is lying? But, official benchmarks are reproducible, and not a lie. So if a benchmark shows that XXX is way slower than YYY, then it is likely true that XXX is slower than YYY on that type of workload.

Comment

Working...
                    X