Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opensource 4770 support?

Hi,

anyone seen or heard anything about opensource 4770 support?

Most people are reporting that if you add the IDs then "it works", but some are having problems. The display controller didn't change much but IIRC there were some changes in the memory controller. You probably need to map the 4770 to rv770 when adding IDs to the existing driver but not 100% sure -- we have boards on order and should be able to do more testing next week.

I think agd5f might have more details; people usually call him, not me, when getting a new board working
    Last edited by bridgman; 10 May 2009, 07:21 AM.
    Test signature

Comment

According to http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...item&px=NzI1MQ it is not sufficient to add the PCI IDs to the open source drivers.

Comment

Originally posted by chithanh View Post
        According to http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...item&px=NzI1MQ it is not sufficient to add the PCI IDs to the open source drivers.
        Yeah, apparently it was working for some people but not for others. That's what I was told anyways; we'll know more next week.
        Test signature

Comment

The cards are DCE 3.2 based so you'll want to treat them like more like rv730 cards rather than rv770 from a display perspective. This patch adds the ids properly, I don't have the hardware yet to test yet:

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
            -- we have boards on order and should be able to do more testing next week.
            Seriously???? I'm confused. The driver team for AMD/ATI has 'boards on order' for a new product that is already on the market. Shouldn't you have had them for in house development and testing BEFORE they hit the market? I mean, if there is any single group of people who should have early access to the hardware, it is the driver developers. That is just dumbfounding.

Comment

Sure, we have engineering samples in house for development and testing and have had them for a while. Engineering samples, not final boards with final settings and final BIOS images. AMD has a lot of offices and not all of them do driver development; agd5f doesn't happen to work in an office where we would have engineering boards.

Once development has finished we replace most of the engineering samples with production boards anyways, so that ongoing development and testing can happen on the same boards you see. I could probably score some engineering sample boards and save a few days but that still wouldn't get final production SKUs into our developers hands.

The proprietary drivers essentially go through at least two passes, once with engineering sample hardware and again with final production hardware. For the open source drivers we normally wait until final hardware is available.

The driver devs have access to the hardware on room-sized hardware emulators long before we even have first silicon.
              Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                Sure, we have engineering samples in house for development and testing and have had them for a while. Engineering samples, not final boards with final settings and final BIOS images. AMD has a lot of offices and not all of them do driver development; agd5f doesn't happen to work in an office where we would have engineering boards....
                Fair enough. Thanks for the explanation. The original statement just made it seem like you were working from nothing but specs. Which was hard to believe. (And clearly, not the case).

Comment

Any updates on this?

Comment

Production boards should have been in this week but didn't show up.

Alex has pinged purchasing to find out what the holdup is. Worst case we'll see if the of the driver teams can free up an engineering board so we can ship that to Alex.
                    Test signature

Comment

Working...
                    X