about Id Tech4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Aradreth View Post
    Do you have any reason to believe that or is it just a shot in the dark?
    Somewhere between the two. He annouced last quakecon that it was going to be released "sometime", and they usually make their big annoucements at quakecons.

Comment

Originally posted by Aradreth View Post
      Do you have any reason to believe that or is it just a shot in the dark?
      Heh... That's a guesstimate on xav1r's part there. A good one, to be sure- but still a guesstimate.

Mr. Carmack did publicly state (and at last Quakecon) that it would be GPLed- he just couldn't commit to a firm timeline other than more sooner than later. Typically, iD likes to make the big announcements of this nature and demos of new things like Rage at Quakecon each year. It'll be this or next Quakecon, most likely, that they'll announce it. If they don't have any new licensees within the last 8 or so months on it, we'll likely see it this year, if not, probably next.

The fact of the matter is, you'll either find out from Here (Either through Michael Larabel being there or myself in the forums... (I live in the DFW area...)) or you'll find out from LinuxGames.com. Maybe this year, maybe next...

Comment

is there really a point when we have xreal? I know xreal is a pain in the 455 to compile but she runs mighty fast with a similar fetureset.

Comment

I doubt xreal has a similar feature set... not even remotely.

Comment

Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
            Heh... That's a guesstimate on xav1r's part there. A good one, to be sure- but still a guesstimate.

Mr. Carmack did publicly state (and at last Quakecon) that it would be GPLed- he just couldn't commit to a firm timeline other than more sooner than later. Typically, iD likes to make the big announcements of this nature and demos of new things like Rage at Quakecon each year. It'll be this or next Quakecon, most likely, that they'll announce it. If they don't have any new licensees within the last 8 or so months on it, we'll likely see it this year, if not, probably next.

The fact of the matter is, you'll either find out from Here (Either through Michael Larabel being there or myself in the forums... (I live in the DFW area...)) or you'll find out from LinuxGames.com. Maybe this year, maybe next...
            I think last time there was an id release, the id tech 3 one, carmack announced the release and the next day it occured. I think he annouced the quake3 code would be out in a 19 of August, and the source code release was on the 20th of august.

Comment

Originally posted by L33F3R View Post
              is there really a point when we have xreal? I know xreal is a pain in the 455 to compile but she runs mighty fast with a similar fetureset.
              I'd have to concur with Dragonlord. XReal's got potential, but it's not the same class of engine (and won't be for some time yet to come...sorry...) as what iD's likely to hand us if they hand us the new one this year or next.

Comment

*sigh* I only wish they hadn't turned to C++ with tech4

Comment

What do you mean with that? You can't make a "really" serious game engine ( with all the bling and still fast ) without C/C++/Asm.

Comment

Nothing against C/asm. It's just that tech3 was in C, for 4 they moved to C++.

Comment

And what's the problem with that move? After all C++ is simply C with a couple of extensions. The only thing that can happen is that people get lost in STL/template diddy-dadly :P

Comment

Working...
                      X