New to the OSS drivers - ATi Xpress 200M

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to the OSS drivers - ATi Xpress 200M

I removed the fgrlx proprietary drivers rom AMD because they don't offer support for my chip (Xpress 200M) anymore so I decided to move to the OSS drivers.

I used this -- https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/Troublesho...river#Problem: Need to fully remove -fglrx and reinstall -ati from scratch -- and I when I follow those instructions I get the following output:

Code:
    whiteeagle@whiteeagle-laptop:~$  sudo apt-get install xserver-xorg-video-ati
    [sudo] password for whiteeagle: 
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree       
    Reading state information... Done
    Package xserver-xorg-video-ati is not available, but is referred to by another package.
    This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
    is only available from another source
    However the following packages replace it:
      xserver-xorg-video-mach64 xserver-xorg-video-r128
    E: Package xserver-xorg-video-ati has no installation candidate
    whiteeagle@whiteeagle-laptop:~$
    Code:
    whiteeagle@whiteeagle-laptop:~ sudo apt-get install --reinstall libgl1-mesa-glx libgl1-mesa-dri xserver-xorg-core 
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree       
    Reading state information... Done
    Reinstallation of libgl1-mesa-glx is not possible, it cannot be downloaded.
    Reinstallation of libgl1-mesa-dri is not possible, it cannot be downloaded.
    Reinstallation of xserver-xorg-core is not possible, it cannot be downloaded.
    0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
    1 not fully installed or removed.
    After this operation, 0B of additional disk space will be used.
    My question is, what should I do to install the OSS driver so it'll work?

Thanks a lot!

BUMP.

OK, so I found out a solution to my problem when libgl1-mesa-glx and -dri weren't reinstalling, they do now, the sources.list file was messed up.

But now I get another error, infact I don't get any error at all because my system doesn't output anything to:
    Code:
    sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
    as it did in the past.

So I can't choose from the drivers and I am left with the mesa driver and 2D acceleration. Also when the system starts I must choose to boot the system from 'low-graphics' mode, very annoying!

Can I do anything to make dpkg-reconfigure to work again? Making a backup of xorg.conf and removing it from /etc/X11/ then trying to reconfigure doesn't work either!

Thank you!
    Last edited by white_eagle; 08 May 2009, 11:27 AM. Reason: added sudo on the begging of the command to avoid confusions...

Comment

Originally posted by white_eagle View Post
      BUMP.

But now I get another error, infact I don't get any error at all because my system doesn't output anything to:
      Code:
      sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
      as it did in the past.
      You don't have to do it. If you have card that is supported for 3D everything works even if you don't have xorg.conf at all. xorg.conf is deprecated but you need it only to tune the modesetting driver.

solution for getting questons:
      sudo dpkg-reconfigure -plow xserver-xorg

Comment

Originally posted by suokko View Post
        You don't have to do it. If you have card that is supported for 3D everything works even if you don't have xorg.conf at all. xorg.conf is deprecated but you need it only to tune the modesetting driver.

solution for getting questons:
        sudo dpkg-reconfigure -plow xserver-xorg
        I get no output from at all from that, just another repeated blank line :\

Comment

I get no output from at all from that, just another repeated blank line :\
          Sounds like you have somehow broken xserver package(s). The best would be search for all installed xorg package sand reinstall them.

It would be helpfull if you posted your dmesg output and Xorg.0.log at http://rafb.net/paste/ so someone might spot the error.

Comment

Sounds like you have somehow broken xserver package(s). The best would be search for all installed xorg package sand reinstall them.

It would be helpfull if you posted your dmesg output and Xorg.0.log at http://rafb.net/paste/ so someone might spot the error.
            Here you go:

Thanks for all the help so far!

Comment

The dmesg output says that drm came up OK but I'm suspicious about the NumPipes message. AFAIK the Xpress200M is a 2 pipe, ie half a quad, and NumPipes is actually supposed to count quads. Might just be an older drm I guess.

No obvious problems in the xorg log but 6.9.0 is pretty old these days.

I guess your real question is about the package manager though, can't help much there. Anyone ?
              Test signature

Comment

Code:
                (II) RADEON(0): EDID vendor "SHP", prod id 5044
                (II) RADEON(0): Printing DDC gathered Modelines:
                (II) RADEON(0): Modeline "1024x768"x0.0   65.00  1024 1036 1172 1344  768 771 777 806 -hsync -vsync (48.4 kHz)
                (II) RADEON(0): Modeline "1024x768"x0.0   65.00  1024 1048 1184 1344  768 771 777 806 -hsync -vsync (48.4 kHz)
                (II) RADEON(0): Modeline "1024x768"x60.0   64.11  1024 1080 1184 1344  768 769 772 795 -hsync +vsync (47.7 kHz)
                That means your monitor claims only supporting 1024x768 resolution.

You could try to upgrade to jaunty for newer driver if it detects your resolutions better than your old driver

If upgrade doesn't help You have to setup modes manually in xorg.conf.

Comment

That means your monitor claims only supporting 1024x768 resolution.
                  That's right, my laptop screen is 15'' and doesn't support bigger resolutions.
                  You could try to upgrade to jaunty for newer driver if it detects your resolutions better than your old driver
                  I would definitively upgrade (via a fresh install) to 9.04, but my cd-rom is broken and I should get it fixed soon.
                  If upgrade doesn't help You have to setup modes manually in xorg.conf.
                  I already did set the modules manually via this tutorial but I don't know what should I do except reconfiguring the server so the system should recognize the new xorg settings and work by them :\

Comment

That's right, my laptop screen is 15'' and doesn't support bigger resolutions.
                    I would definitively upgrade (via a fresh install) to 9.04, but my cd-rom is broken and I should get it fixed soon.

I already did set the modules manually via this tutorial but I don't know what should I do except reconfiguring the server so the system should recognize the new xorg settings and work by them :\
                    You can do clean installation using your free hard driver space. Aonther option (which I use) is PXE boot to networking instalation (I have settup livecd to nfs share but that is more complex than basic PXE+mini netboot CD image)
                    Nice tutorials from different scenarios which you might use are in the wiki

Anyway I did have same kind of low graphics mode error problem just a week ago but I was using self compiled version of radeon driver. Everything was fixed when I recompiled everything and fixed a few permission problems. So solution might be doing clean instalation if you have broken packages. It is also possible to fix the broken packages but it seems like takeing a lot time because you have even problems with apt If you know some Debian/Ubuntu guru near you he might be able to fix everything localy.

Comment

Working...
                    X