AMD Releases R600/700 Programming Guide

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by elanthis View Post
    The disadvantage of Open Source is that most commercial games won't ever use it because it annihilates almost any chance of recuperating costs, much less making a profit. Games are one of the largest and most complex types of software to develop these days, and there are two big reasons why many games can even exist: companies can recuperate costs by selling engine licenses to other game development houses, and game development houses can buy high quality engines and game development toolsets that simply do not exist anywhere in the Open Source landscape at all.
    Well we have OGRE and the Blender Game Engine is in coming. Probably these can cause some unemployment among game developers

Comment

Originally posted by madman2k View Post
      Well we have OGRE and the Blender Game Engine is in coming. Probably these can cause some unemployment among game developers
      the interesting thing is that the blender game engine is now being developed with the help of a game company called twilight22 or something.
      they work on improving the speed as well as the workflow.
      the bge is one hell of a powerful tool, though it lacks certain features to make it useful in the commercial way.
      Last edited by Pfanne; 15 July 2009, 05:36 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by MartjeB View Post
        Even if your platform is not supported (you don't use DEB or RPM) you can launch a small script which asks for your password and lauches a terminal, which copies the files.
        Because that is impossible on current distros. NWN did that, as well as a number of other commercial Linux games. None of those installers work anymore without manually patching them.

If nothing else, there is no way to run a script that can ask for a password in a cross-distro compatible manner. Somem distros use sudo, some don't. Some have GTK frontends for su, some for sudo. Some use KDE frontends. Some don't have a graphical frontend at all. Whether or not the distro even allows the script to run is indeterminate, because osme distros mark the CD as noexec while others don't, some distros allow you to double-click an executable to run it and others don't.

Without a standardized installer, it WILL NOT WORK. That means a single installer format that some preinstalled-on-every-distro program can recognize, open, and process to copy files from one (or more) discs (or the Internet, even) onto the computer, either in a single user's home dir or on the system. Integration with RPM and DEB and such would be a (welcome) bonus, otherwise it requires a standardized update and uninstall tool as well.

There are several such tools available. Few of the distros want to even offer these in their repos, and none want them in the default install, making the projects all entirely wasted efforts.

Comment

Originally posted by madman2k View Post
          Not really. Most game developers are the exact same as the OSS developers: they reimplement crap from scratch due to NIH syndrome. How many OSS 3D engines are there? Irrlicht, CrystalSpace, Blender, and OGRE are just the four "big" ones, on top of the Quake3 tech mods. And so on.

And honestly, those tools are NOT game engines. They're 3D engines. A full game engine is far, far, far more than those things. As with all programming, games are dependent on the quality of the tools used to make them. The mapper tools used by level designers. The scripting tools used by AI designers (who are often not trained programmers). The reporting tools used by the game designers. The in-game event systems and analysis tools used by the logic programmers.

A 3D engine is just a tiny, tiny part of what a game engine needs, and honestly, it's the easiest to replace. 3D engines are commodities these days. There are tons of companies selling 3D engines, not to mention those Open Source engines you brought up. If that's all a game engine needed, Open Source would have actually come up with a game worth more than $5 already.

Comment

Originally posted by Kjella View Post
            Not to mention, do you have the benefits yet? I'm currently running nVidia with the proprietary drivers, and I see absolutely no reason to buy an AMD card in order to run Catalyst. Not unless you're really trashing nVidia in Windows game performance, but there you're usually competitively priced anyway (margins are another matter). I want to choose open source, but I'm fairly pragmatist.
            well, without the open source initiative, I wouldn't have bought the 3870 I own now. Or a friend of me would not have bought his 4850 ...

some time ago, people were saying 'I buy intel mobos. Because they have open source drivers for their onboard graphic'. Before that it was 'I buy ATI because the Radeons have open source drivers'. Ok, thanks to ubuntu the 'free drivers are a great thing to support' mindset suffered. But hell... I support that.

A company acts nicely? I buy their stuff. And all of my linux using friends think similar.

Comment

Working...
            X