Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMD 8.35.5 Driver -- Hello Catalyst Control Center Linux Edition!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for the fedora patch Michael, working fine on Debian sid systems 2.6.20.x kernels, xorg 7.1 currently.

We have found a bug, or error, or whatever.

Driver installs fine, but the amdcccle deb is not constructed correctly, apparently anyway. It only contains these files as shown by dpkg -S fglrx-amdcccle:

fglrx-amdcccle: /usr/share/doc/fglrx-amdcccle
    fglrx-amdcccle: /usr/share/doc/fglrx-amdcccle/copyright

The actual amdcccle is not installed into the system at all, but aticonfig is. Hopefully the ATI guys will get this fixed and running again at some point. Or maybe there is some other mysterious new process needed other than dpkg -i fglrx-amdcccle....

We are using the dpkg -i method by the way, creating the 3 debs, then installing them. No errors reported, just incomplete amdcccle package.

Everything else seems fine, users report faster framerates with 8.35.5
    Last edited by gfxdrone; 28 March 2007, 08:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by gfxdrone View Post
      Thanks for the patch Michael, working fine on Debian sid systems 2.6.20.x kernels.

We have found a bug, or error, or whatever.

Driver installs fine, but the amdcccle deb is not constructed correctly, apparently anyway. It only contains these files as shown by dpkg -S fglrx-amdcccle:

fglrx-amdcccle: /usr/share/doc/fglrx-amdcccle
      fglrx-amdcccle: /usr/share/doc/fglrx-amdcccle/copyright

The actual amdcccle is not installed into the system at all, but aticonfig is. Hopefully the ATI guys will get this fixed and running again at some point. Or maybe there is some other mysterious new process needed other than dpkg -i fglrx-amdcccle....

We are using the dpkg -i method by the way, creating the 3 debs, then installing them. No errors reported, just incomplete amdcccle package.

Everything else seems fine, users report faster framerates with 8.35.5

ATI is not directly responsible for the distribution-specific packaging scripts (well, except for RHEL). It is up to the community / the specific packager for ATI to maintain and test their scripts. AMDCCCLE-related distribution problems should hopefully be addressed by their maintainers for 8.36 -- I know the Fedora ones are working great, I did them and tested the amdcccle quite a bit.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

I'm talking about the ati installer generated debian deb packages, not the debian packages you get from apt.

This is an ati installer deb constructor error, not related to debian packaged fglrx deb packages maintained by debian developers, which are not being used in this case.

The ati installer is generating the debs, and it is failing to correctly fully generate the amdcccle deb, it is incomplete, as I noted, it only contains the documents, not the actual binaries for amdcccle. This is most definitely an ati error.

To be clear: the ati installer generates 3 packages:
        fglrx-driver
        fgrlx-amdcccle
        fgrlx-kernel-src

these are what we use to install fglrx. The two primary ones work fine, and the new amdcccle does not work, although it reports no errors. I guess I could go into the constructor scripts and locate their error for them, but sadly, that's their job, not mine.

Or some new, hitherto unknown process needs to be discovered to get the binaries and other data that are present in the installer package once it's been extracted into the deb it attempts to produce. Successfully, no errors, but incomplete, empty, void of the actual program.
        Last edited by gfxdrone; 28 March 2007, 08:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by gfxdrone View Post
          I'm talking about the ati installer generated debian deb packages, not the debian packages you get from apt.

This is an ati installer deb constructor error, not related to debian packaged fglrx installers, which are not being used in this case.

The ati installer is generating the debs, and it is failing to correctly fully generate the amdcccle deb, it is incomplete, as I noted, it only contains the documents, not the actual binaries for amdcccle. This is most definitely an ati error.

To be clear: the ati installer generates 3 packages:
          fglrx-driver
          fgrlx-amdcccle
          fgrlx-kernel-src

these are what we use to install fglrx. The two primary ones work fine, and the new amdcccle does not work, although it reports no errors. I guess I could go into the constructor scripts and locate their error for them, but sadly, that's their job, not mine.

Or some new, hitherto unknown process needs to be discovered to get the binaries and other data that are present in the installer package once it's been extracted into the deb it attempts to produce. Successfully, no errors, but incomplete, empty, void of the actual program.

The ATI package using the --buildpkg calls Debian scripts, which are not created by ATI officials but the outside community.
          Michael Larabel

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
            The ATI package using the --buildpkg calls Debian scripts, which are not created by ATI officials but the outside community.
            Ah, that's good to know. Well, I guess this won't get corrected until 8.35.6.

I wondered why the ATI stuff was done like this, now I see. Also nice to see what poor quality control is done on these scripts by ATI.

But your work on the patches is definitely appreciated, without it I doubt we'd even bother trying to support fglrx at all.

We continue, by the way, to recommend strongly for all users who are in the position to do so, to buy NVIDIA whenever they can.

Thanks for the information though.
            Last edited by gfxdrone; 28 March 2007, 09:01 PM.

Comment

The AMDCCC does build and work correctly on Mandriva using the --buildpackage option. It built 4 packages
              ati-8.35.5 atieventsd dkms and ati-utils which is new so I guess it's for the CCC.
              It's found in System>configuration>hardware and can be launches as user.

Unfortunately the Mandriva supplied script is still bugged and none of the /usr/bin items get built..meaning no
              aticonfig fglrxinfo fglrx_xgamma or fgl_glxgears..
              Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety,deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
              Ben Franklin 1755

Comment

Originally posted by DarkFoss View Post
                The AMDCCC does build and work correctly on Mandriva using the --buildpackage option.
                Is the source for the CCC in the package? That would be awesome
                since the precompiled version doesn't run on my machine
                (damn XCB keeps exposing locking bugs in other libs/apps )

Comment

Originally posted by khakhovich View Post
                  okay... this is a bit pain in the ass.... forget the AGILX and etc...
                  every time i do installation or upgrading driver from ATI on my laptops *ALWAYS* i get OpenGL = MESA.

can someone tell me why?
                  everytime i have to go through hoops to get the ATI Renderer.

any help/hints are much apreciated.

thanks
                  I find it odd that I now have the same problem. My guess is that it's because blasted arch linux forced me to update to xorg 7.2. I would have thought that ATi would already have support for 7.2 especially since 7.3 is around the corner Oh well, now I just have to wait till AMD supports 7.2. I'm yet to see if my screen blanks out if I exit X.

I might just try now actually.

Comment

Oh you little beauty! I just tried then, I can now finally get back to X without having to reboot my system. Now to get rid of this Mesa crap...

Comment

Originally posted by b15hop View Post
                      I find it odd that I now have the same problem. My guess is that it's because blasted arch linux forced me to update to xorg 7.2. I would have thought that ATi would already have support for 7.2 especially since 7.3 is around the corner Oh well, now I just have to wait till AMD supports 7.2. I'm yet to see if my screen blanks out if I exit X.

I might just try now actually.

The fglrx drivers support X.Org 7.2.
                      Michael Larabel

Comment

Working...
                      X