LGP Prepares For Massive 24-Hour Linux Sale

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
    bittorrent the iso, key the app. cheap and effective.
    Bah I like my boxes!

Anyway the site should really be fixed by now I mean the xss exploit has been around a long time now.

Comment

Originally posted by Aradreth View Post
      Bah I like my boxes!

Anyway the site should really be fixed by now I mean the xss exploit has been around a long time now.
      No reason why not to have both, buy now, play now, get box in cheap shipping form still sealed. Sell on ebay 30 years from now as collectors item.

Comment

Sell on ebay 30 years from now as collectors item.
        OT: Good luck with that
        I tried selling my copy of "Quake3:TeamArena" which is actually signed by the entire id Software staff once without any serious offers.
        I guess everyone has already enough stupid boxes taking up space

Comment

Originally posted by Julius View Post
          OT: Good luck with that
          I tried selling my copy of "Quake3:TeamArena" which is actually signed by the entire id Software staff once without any serious offers.
          I guess everyone has already enough stupid boxes taking up space
          That's because they are still in business. Now find a autographed copy of Duke Nukem now days.....

Comment

bittorrent the iso, key the app. cheap and effective.
            cheap and effective but a bit toooo cheap - resulting in a lack of professionalism.

Comment

No reason why not to have both, buy now, play now, get box in cheap shipping form still sealed.
              Most people want the download push reduced price rather then the download and the boxed version and considering the size of the audience I'm guessing it doesn't make much business sense to do both as the reduced sales of the boxed version would increase manufacturing cost (don't need to order such large production runs) uping the price or lowering the profit.
              Sell on ebay 30 years from now as collectors item.
              Been there done that (although it wasn't 30 years old...).

Comment

Originally posted by L33F3R View Post
                cheap and effective but a bit toooo cheap - resulting in a lack of professionalism.
                Still more professional than having an obviously insecure pay-site isn't it?

Comment

Originally posted by Dragonlord View Post
                  Still more professional than having an obviously insecure pay-site isn't it?
                  100% correct

Comment

Well it's true. One of the reasons why I wouldn't buy from LGP. Would you trust your credit card to a site that is subject to xss exploits?

http://www.linuxgamepublishing.com/n...lmer.jpg%22%3E
                    Originally posted by krzta View Post
                    It has been pointed out long ago. They obviously do not care about anything concerning their poorly written, buggy and outdated website. If they actually collect credit card numbers themselves, buyers should watch out.
                    Thanks a bunch! If this was common knowledge around here, what heroes you guys are sharing it with your fellows something like 18 or more hours into the 24 hour sale and more than day after the announcement here at Phoronix...

... oh, well, sorry. I am being unfair and had it not been for this info I had known nothing about this. You are not to blame here really, its all LGP.

It just pisses me off that I used my card on that site assuming the little certificate lock symbol in Firefox would indicate it to be as safe as any other shopping site I visit, though looking a bit dated in this case. Normally I buy all my games from TuxGames and have never had a problem so I plunged in here as well. I guess VISAs online reimbursement policies are more focused on scams than poor code so I better contact my bank for a new card.

I do not remember if the SSL protected part of the checkout was only LGP or if there was some other company collecting and protecting the info. Am I right to assume that someone could have collected all my info, despite the SSL connection itself if they own the page?

Well, it is really no biggie, but still. I wonder how many people purchased something and ho many of them that will stumble across this thread.

Comment

A very easy way would be creating for example a shop inside amazon. Then the money transfer would be also save enough. I don't think that website encourages to buy linux games. The default prices are way too high for such old games, also a price should be in € - like most europeans use not the currency that only 1 country with high inflation rate uses.

Comment

Working...
                      X