Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New i7 based computer with Linux compatibility

Hi,

I'm thinking of buying a new computer with core i7 920 CPU.
    Propably the cheapest motherboard ATM seems to be the ASUS P6T SE, and I'm wondering how it is in general and how would Linux/Ubuntu run on it. I have read that the P6T Deluxe is quite compatible with linux (network and audio work), but does this necessarily hold true for the SE version?

It's not crystal clear to me what all the differences are between Deluxe and SE. It seems that SE does not support SLI. I'm not going to be using more than a single video card and I'm not going to overclock much. Maybe I could OC the CPU to ~3GHz if it is possible with the stock cooler.

Currently I'm planning on getting the following system:
    Intel Core i7 920
    ASUS P6T SE
    Kingston ValueRam 6GB (3x2GB) DDR3 1066MHz CL7
    XFX GeForce GTX260 XT 216 896MB
    Antec Three Hundred
    Antec NeoPower 650 Blue

The system will be used for some gaming (propably in WinXP),
    HD video playback (hopefully with success in Ubuntu with VDPAU), programming, some image handling and latex.

Originally posted by blender View Post
    Hi,

I'm thinking of buying a new computer with core i7 920 CPU.
    Propably the cheapest motherboard ATM seems to be the ASUS P6T SE, and I'm wondering how it is in general and how would Linux/Ubuntu run on it. I have read that the P6T Deluxe is quite compatible with linux (network and audio work), but does this necessarily hold true for the SE version?

It's not crystal clear to me what all the differences are between Deluxe and SE. It seems that SE does not support SLI. I'm not going to be using more than a single video card and I'm not going to overclock much. Maybe I could OC the CPU to ~3GHz if it is possible with the stock cooler.

Currently I'm planning on getting the following system:
    Intel Core i7 920
    ASUS P6T SE
    Kingston ValueRam 6GB (3x2GB) DDR3 1066MHz CL7
    XFX GeForce GTX260 XT 216 896MB
    Antec Three Hundred
    Antec NeoPower 650 Blue

The system will be used for some gaming (propably in WinXP),
    HD video playback (hopefully with success in Ubuntu with VDPAU), programming, some image handling and latex.
    You should be fine.

Comment

I'm also having a hard time choosing the PSU. I think the neopower 650 blue would be good because it is silent and has modular cabling. On the downside, it only has four sata cables and the cables are not the longest ones. The Corsair 650TX seems also tempting due to its good performance and stability, but I've heard that many people are experiencing some extremely annoying sound problems with it. Also 650TX does not have modular cabling, though the Antec three hundred has a special design for hiding extra cables. Any other good alternatives in this price range?

Comment

OCZ makes some nice alternatives.

Comment

Maybe OCZ ModXStream Pro 600W? It has modular cables, 6 sata cables, 80+ cert. and 140mm fan. Is 600W enough for i7 620 and gtx 260 (I might oc i7 to 3GHz)?

Comment

Originally posted by blender View Post
            Maybe OCZ ModXStream Pro 600W? It has modular cables, 6 sata cables, 80+ cert. and 140mm fan. Is 600W enough for i7 620 and gtx 260 (I might oc i7 to 3GHz)?
            Should be, a OCZ 600w powers my overclocked and power hungry system to 3 Ghz.

Phenom 9850, 8 HD's, 8800GT sli, 2 burners.

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
              Should be, a OCZ 600w powers my overclocked and power hungry system to 3 Ghz.

Phenom 9850, 8 HD's, 8800GT sli, 2 burners.
              That sound promising. How is the noise level in idle and load?

Comment

Hi, any update on p6t se and linux?
                Could you please varify that sound/networking work ok, without major hassel?

Thank you

Comment

Working...
                X