Support for kernel 2.6.29?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Support for kernel 2.6.29?

Is this going to come in Catalyst 9.5 yet? (Just wondering if I'm waiting for naught
    Edit: Lemme reduce the size of the question to spare bridgman: the most important bit here is knowing with reasonable certainty if it will not come, not knowing if it comes.
    Last edited by nanonyme; 07 May 2009, 09:02 AM.

Even if not, there will be 3rd party patches like with the current 9.4.

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium
      9-5 will not support 2.6.29 kernel... bad i know..
      Sounds like I'll be packaging kernel 2.6.28 for my Fedora 11 then. It's not like it's the end of the world, just a bit of an extra nuisance.

Comment

9-5 will not support 2.6.29 kernel... bad i know..
        If that is true I will replace my card with nvidia this month.
        I am getting so tired of how they handle things. Only Ubuntu getting support with prereleases etc.

Comment

Originally posted by egon2003 View Post
          If that is true I will replace my card with nvidia this month.
          I am getting so tired of how they handle things. Only Ubuntu getting support with prereleases etc.
          These two things have nothing to do with each other. We're talking of what a *release* might support, not if ATi could feed us with another pre-release. Though I suppose it would be fair if ATi fed to big distros a pre-release of Catalyst 9.6 if it supports 2.6.29. (Just as they gave Ubuntu a pre-release of the driver release after the next one)

Comment

? thats not realy true the 9-4 first has a beta leak ... after that ubuntu become a version...

hey cool down.. 9-5 not support 2.6.29 kernel but beta 9-6 does !

so please buy a nvidia cart and install a 9-6 leaked catalyst on it LOL ;-)
            The 9.4 afaik wasn't *leaked* but given to Ubuntu. Leaking a beta version is an NDA-infringement and might end you in legal trouble (I haven't read the actual NDA contract so I don't know how big the monetary compensations would be) if you get caught doing it.

Comment

NDA ? i don't signt a NDA!
              Your Father or Mother ?

Comment

internaly AMD have allready the 9-6 beta and 9-7 beta!
                This is phrased wrong. AMD puts experimental development to drivers scheduled for release two months from the next one and so there's experimental codebase for those drivers. It doesn't imply anything of beta's. Beta's mean this http://ati.amd.com/products/catalyst/betatester.html and getting access to *that* requires signing an NDA. Leaking those files is a breach of contract which at the very least means you're not eligible to be a beta tester anymore.
                The file "leaked" (I don't consider it a leak since leaks are involuntary, I'm fairly certain the one was planned) to Ubuntu was not part of the beta program but a pre-release given to the distro to try to maintain a relative degree of compatibility for Ubuntu.

Comment

Well 2.6.29 support can be patched, with a smaller patch, when your distro provides some extra files or a very huge one. But 2.6.30 seems to be really problematic. When you make it compile then it uses 2 symbols which are not in the kernel anymore, one could possibly patched, but the other is in the binary part, so no go. I do not understand that when ati only provides drivers for the latest cards that they are not able to try a new kernel. Ubuntu even has got a collection of every mainline kernel incl. rc, so they would not even require to compile it on their own. Nvidia somehow manages for their current cards, for the others i am still waiting for official 2.6.30 support but 2.6.29 is there for every card.

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
                    Well 2.6.29 support can be patched, with a smaller patch, when your distro provides some extra files or a very huge one. But 2.6.30 seems to be really problematic. When you make it compile then it uses 2 symbols which are not in the kernel anymore, one could possibly patched, but the other is in the binary part, so no go. I do not understand that when ati only provides drivers for the latest cards that they are not able to try a new kernel. Ubuntu even has got a collection of every mainline kernel incl. rc, so they would not even require to compile it on their own. Nvidia somehow manages for their current cards, for the others i am still waiting for official 2.6.30 support but 2.6.29 is there for every card.
                    Afaik ATi only targets enterprise Linux releases. Go check how new kernel eg RHEL has.

Comment

Working...
                    X