Auzentech Prelude driver in Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Auzentech Prelude driver in Linux

Well I love absolutely love to run a linux distro on my main PC....however I use it for an HTPC. I would like to know if anyone has found a decent driver for the Auzentech Prelude X-Fi.
    The functions that I require are:
    DTS encoder
    Pass-through via S/PDIF coax
    analog support for my headphones (that's the 'easy' one I guess)
    I run the card to my Denon head unit, and I use the encoder when listening to music. This allows me to upscale 2 ch FLAC to 5.1 with decent sound quality.
    I searched around and found some threads from last year, and it looked like they never found a driver solution.
    If anyone has any info on this I would be ecstatic, as I really would love to run Linux during the week when I'm not gaming, then boot Vista x64 (my current OS) for gaming on the weekends.

Thanks in advance!

Originally posted by DarksideEE7 View Post
    Well I love absolutely love to run a linux distro on my main PC....however I use it for an HTPC. I would like to know if anyone has found a decent driver for the Auzentech Prelude X-Fi.
    The functions that I require are:
    DTS encoder
    Pass-through via S/PDIF coax
    analog support for my headphones (that's the 'easy' one I guess)
    I run the card to my Denon head unit, and I use the encoder when listening to music. This allows me to upscale 2 ch FLAC to 5.1 with decent sound quality.
    I searched around and found some threads from last year, and it looked like they never found a driver solution.
    If anyone has any info on this I would be ecstatic, as I really would love to run Linux during the week when I'm not gaming, then boot Vista x64 (my current OS) for gaming on the weekends.

Thanks in advance!
    Creative tryed to make X-FI driver for linux and failed. They then opensourced what they had done so far but it isn't yet taken to alsa.

You could try http://www.opensound.com/ because they have partial support for X-FI cards but might not have all what you need. (Also might be broken for your card)

You can read more about X-FI from phoronix if you search for X-FI.

Comment

That's what I feared. So I'm assuming this is the driver you refer to (or some variant that was hopefully debugged).
      Well I'll have to give it a shot. I would love to be able to run a linux distro at least during the week, but I suppose I'll see. I'm going to install it tonight on a spare hard drive.
      If I get it working then I'll resize the partition on my 2 TB RAID0 array and install it there.

Comment

Well I found this while browsing around....I'm going to give it a shot. Apparently this guy got it working......however I wonder if it's limiited functionality.

I guess this about answers my question about the DTS decoder
        The C-Media-based Auzentech soundcards (X-Mystique, X-Plosion, and X-Meridian) have limited compatibility with Linux through C-Media's Linux driver for 8768/8770 and 8788 chipsets. However, the driver does not support Dolby Digital Live and DTS Interactive. According to C-Media, Dolby and DTS do not intend to open their source for Linux OS.
        That's straight from Auzentech's site. This is referring to a card based on the C-media chip...which many have gotten working.

At best I'm looking at strictly analog output, and S/PDIF pass through if I'm lucky. I won't be getting any DTS/DDL encoding loving on the Linux side.

Well it looks like if I want to run Linux on my rig for anything other than playing around I'll need a new sound card. That sucks, considering this is my favorite one on the market, and I paid $190 for it (granted over a year ago.)

If I have any luck getting anything working I'll post my results......but I'm not going to hold my breath.
        Last edited by DarksideEE7; 08 May 2009, 02:42 AM.

Comment

Working...
        X